Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Negative feedback for the End of support for Windows XP desktop app.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

What a PATHETIC exchange!

I'm reading the official response from DropBox and it is the complete opposite of customer support. DB serves it's own interests and then tells us it is doing it for our benefit ... and you go on to defending this practice! 

The argument "there is no money to be made" just adds insult to injury. Clients can't be blamed (or punished) if DropBox can't manage it's finances! You can't just yank out a *public* service because it doesn't serve the corporate agenda anymore! DB is a private corporation but it doesn't have ALL the rights. If it wanted that it would have kept this service secret, no? 

If your clients had the same attitude as this corporation, DropBox would have never seen the light of day. From day one clients adapted their way of doing things and NEGOCIATED a compromise with DB. Now all of that is thrown out the window as if clients had no part in the negociation! Clients are the reason why DB exists!!!! But seeing how DB treats them someone doesn't understand this. Oh no. It's all about being profitable ... nice try. 

People have spent a lot of time and money on this product and somehow it's all worth nothing? 

Cause you know, once this becomes acceptable behavior, it will go on and on again. How long before DB dumps people using Vista? 7? 10? How long before DB start selling private info to any alphabet organisation or other corporate entity for extra cash? Yes, this is exactly what this is about. As soon as you fail to see the point in honoring your agreements with your clients all hell breaks loose. Anything goes and any excuse is "good enough". Hence the reaction when you tell people they "just need to upgrade". DB is the one that has to serve it's clients,  not the other way around!

This corporate malfeasance is just getting too much. Clients are not expendible. They are real people with real needs, not virtual accounts attached to wallets. Business agreements, tacit or implicit, are not meant to be waived without first negociating an acceptable compromise with all involved. This is all wrong and DropBox is leading the way. Tomorrow's electronic future looks bleak indeed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Negative feedback for the End of support for Windows XP desktop app.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey obiwanceleri, thanks for getting in touch on our Community & taking the time to share your thoughts on the end of support for Windows XP devices. Positive or negative, everything you're sending over is transferred up the ladder & collecting your thoughts lets us better understand your needs, hence I'll make sure our team is made aware of your request. 

I’ve moved your post from the previous discussion, as it’s been inactive for a year, though you may refer back to it here

You may keep in mind that as of January 16, 2018, Dropbox hasn’t been supporting running the Dropbox desktop app on Mac OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, OS X 10.8, and Windows Vista. Additionally, the Dropbox desktop app stopped supporting Windows version XP in August, 2016. 

Don’t worry— in case you were running either of the OS above, your files aren’t going anywhere. You can use a supported browser to continue accessing your files through the Dropbox website. 

If you’re wondering why this change this was implemented, please bear in mind that the Dropbox desktop app is regularly updated with new features, better performance, and security enhancements and these aren’t always compatible with an older OS. 

Hopefully this answers your question, though I’m always here in case you need further assistance, just keep me updated in your next message. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Negative feedback for the End of support for Windows XP desktop app.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey obiwanceleri, thanks for getting in touch on our Community & taking the time to share your thoughts on the end of support for Windows XP devices. Positive or negative, everything you're sending over is transferred up the ladder & collecting your thoughts lets us better understand your needs, hence I'll make sure our team is made aware of your request. 

I’ve moved your post from the previous discussion, as it’s been inactive for a year, though you may refer back to it here

You may keep in mind that as of January 16, 2018, Dropbox hasn’t been supporting running the Dropbox desktop app on Mac OS X 10.6, OS X 10.7, OS X 10.8, and Windows Vista. Additionally, the Dropbox desktop app stopped supporting Windows version XP in August, 2016. 

Don’t worry— in case you were running either of the OS above, your files aren’t going anywhere. You can use a supported browser to continue accessing your files through the Dropbox website. 

If you’re wondering why this change this was implemented, please bear in mind that the Dropbox desktop app is regularly updated with new features, better performance, and security enhancements and these aren’t always compatible with an older OS. 

Hopefully this answers your question, though I’m always here in case you need further assistance, just keep me updated in your next message. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?