cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Logs earlier reveal unknown Dropbox logging

Net Logs earlier reveal unknown Dropbox logging

tdubz89
Explorer | Level 4
Setup a RasberryPi last week at home on a OnePlus7T, Android 10, ,wwhich revealed a tremendous amount of leaking data from essentially everything in the mesh network with a pulse. Got the tvs to cut down some 'noise' but there's still obviously much room for improvement.

What brought me here was One of the logs indicated the file system has apparently some sort of fvck logs, kmesg and various other low level readable text files being stored for a DB account i have no record of ever setting up.

Is this a pre configured service for "users" anyone can tell me about , or my phone vendor setup? Or another service might have enabled at some point
.. How can i find this out without spending weeks or months trying to figure this out & only later realizing i spawned several other services trying to determine the root cause..

VZW, OP, or maybe perhaps a feature of the stock kernel, or part of some Out Of Network enterprise service (I'm not managed, no, not that i know of).

I've read about File Explorers for exampl, being able to setup a DB acct very easily or some browser plugins/extensions/addons/services etc that could too.

Someone point me in the right direction if this is abnormal please and thank you. ✌️

Op7T
Model HD1905
Android 10
Oxygen OS 10.0.15 HD65AA
Kernel 4.14.117
Last security patch performed was November 2020...
4 Replies 4

Re: Net Logs earlier reveal unknown Dropbox logging

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @tdubz89; welcome to our Community and thanks for the report.

Could you share some screenshots of the logs you found referencing Dropbox in order to get a better understanding of the matter at hand? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tdubz89
Explorer | Level 4

So this is akward because am unable to secure a safe screen shot at the moment... unsure how to properly secure this presently but I'm fairly certain i picked up a nasty spyware with"Tiktok"services related to literally everything for video and media and photos across minimum 2 connected G accounts. One has a policy stuck on it im thinking from my Chromebook it's synced with which im assuming is more/less OK because despite the policy i have full control over that account.... but  the one related to this Email is not fairing so well and happens to be what i had been using to BackUp and Sync screenshots. 

And what's worse it's either injected itself over a period of time into my Core gms (Google) services and even seeing abnormalities for modified system files or even copies of Android corelibraries related to "Shared services" and "WebView" and Chrome Mobile (browser).  I see enough where i'm  kinda crapping my self to be honest. Hopefully i choose to the right device not to sign out of... i think this maybe is out of your hands here lol

What i can tell you about for the first mention i saw from logs with on a previous device i had, Pixel 2 XL and i cant recall the exact path found it in. But i first started noticing all sort of problems , seemingly insigficant files randomly moved about , sync problems and data usage growth, which lead me to start mashing the built in Debug tool ( Help and Support) Event Viewer + Logcat + running applcations and sandboxed processes not staying sandboxed... this was June  2020... And  thought it was more related to the device aging and DNS/network related services . I think most Google Apps or Android system apps have that built in under "Help" and "Report and Issue" -> System Logs... and of course u can't send them anywhere freakin useful but to "Google" or RCS or whoever really gets call idk.

The few screen shots i have left i was able to still view on the OP7T was under OEMLogs or OEMlogkit, but frankly the file system isvery new to me. I was able to read it  on an emulator on the OP using adb shell start in the System# directory and /path/toward/.OP/OEMlogging/Dropbox* . Isolating what i can just before coming here has greyed out or removed almost all my screenshots though. If i recover them and this particular Oneplus service isn't familiar to anyone and you want a foolowup , then i'll return. It was here i discovered a **bleep** ton of fcvk logs, Tombstones even app not reponding ANR's, and Netstats data ciphoning and processes callin backtraces its a mess.  

(either way i'll return since this may be my salvation for anything i can recover.) Might have been a symlink honestly im just trying to understand it all as i'm not a saavy programer/engineer/ but in the realm of retarted hobbyist who is nieve to say the least.

Thanks for reply but it seems i'm going to need to get super invested in this one way or another. fml

tdubz89
Explorer | Level 4

And for the record, as im just proof reading and it begs me to mention,

NO, I've never used or installed Tiktok services, gateways and listeners... not conciously anyway

I'm in my 30s, not a teenage kid going around downloading from random sources  hoping to find the "cool" new place for content like we used to get in the 90's and early 2000s 😞  Just started out trying to get rid of SOME Ads and Popups right??? 

thanks again 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @tdubz89, is it possible these could be logs for a third party app or service that has an option to connect to Dropbox, and that is what is being referenced in the logs?

Likewise, some sites do use the Dropbox API so people can add files from their own Dropbox account to whatever service the site is offering (such as CVs etc).

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?