cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Computer

Otis6847
Explorer | Level 4

I got a new mac ,migrated everything over do I need to remove the old mac and let the new one upload everything or would the files remain the same , (the new mac has the exact same set up/files.) Also I want to keep originals on my mac

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Re: New Computer

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @Otis6847, thanks for reaching out about this!

When you get a new computer and you want to connect it to your Dropbox account, the best thing to do for everything to run smoothly, is to just install the Dropbox application, sign in to your account and let it sync all your files to a brand new Dropbox folder.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Otis6847
Explorer | Level 4

I hate to be confused but should I un link my old mac I don' want to lose files and will my new mac just take over my files? It's basically the same info from a different computer

Thank you again

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Otis6847, provided that all the files have synced across to the desktop app on the new Mac, then you can sign out of the desktop app on the old machine if you no longer need it to sync to your account any more.

This will prevent the old machine from syncing, but the files will still remain on that Mac too.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Otis6847 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?