cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer, so first step, link to Dropbox, but ...

New computer, so first step, link to Dropbox, but ...

sinbad-02
Explorer | Level 4

A new PC and the first desire is to link it to Dropbox, which I have used and recommended people to, well, probably from when Dropbox happily arrived in our world.
However, I cannot find a way to get my old connection to Dropbox to happen. Perhaps others have had this trouble, too, perhaps - hopefully - some have discovered how to get connected.
The trouble with Dropbox - not that is usually is a problem - is that when you have used it for years and years, it is very tough to find it's no longer available ... not without now having to pay for it, and for more space than I could possibly want.

9 Replies 9

Re: New computer, so first step, link to Dropbox, but ...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @sinbad-02, I hope you're well today!

I just located your post in our "Share an idea" section, so I've moved it our "Help from Community" to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like you might have reached the 3 device limit for the Basic account, is that right?

If so, please check in your account security page here. If you see any old devices still showing as connected, you can unlink them with the "X" to the right of the device entry.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sinbad-02
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne, you are a star. Dropbox has become such a part of my computing that I really feel quite lost without it.
Not knowing how to answer this problem, I have found alternatives. However, if I could keep with Dropbox with my modest collection, that would be best.
You've directed me to the place that shows the machines used to connect, but I can't find a way to trim that number. It shows three, and I use just two - pc and laptop.
Is there a way to remove the third machine, which I no longer use, please?
Very grateful for your help
paul

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us Paul. 

Next to the device you'd like to disconnect, you will see an "X" icon. You can click this to unlink the device from the account to free up the space to add a new device.

If you're not able to see this, please send along a screenshot (excluding any personal info).

Keep us posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

morvenw
New member | Level 2

I'm also having trouble getting connected with my new computer, but it's not that I have too many devices.

I use Dropbox for my works in progress (I'm a writer). I had it set up so that my desktop tower and my laptop could access my files on Dropbox.

When I tried to install Dropbox on my new desktop tower, it started copying over ALL of my files, not just a specific folder that I use for my writing. Of course, I ran out of room on Dropbox, but that's not the only problem. There are only certain files (my writing) that I want on Dropbox. I don't want my entire computer on the cloud/

How do I install it (Windows 10 64-bit) so that I have only one folder (with subfolders) on Dropbox?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your kind words @sinbad-02!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this @morvenw, it sounds like the computer backup was enabled during the setup of the desktop app.

Please follow the steps at the bottom of this article to disable the backup, and in step 8 choose "Keep content in folders on this PC". 

This will remove those files from Dropbox and keep them locally on your computer.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

paul r.4
New member | Level 2

Very grateful, Daphne, for it seems that the files are there. That is good.

When I was having problems getting connected with my old Dropbox, I rather complicated where the Dropbox files are on the new PC.

Sorry to be troubling you further, but is there a way I could get online Dropbox to download the files onto the PC in one place, so that - as before - when I change a file on the PC, it happens automatically in Dropbox.

I was so amazed by this ability back in the early days of Dropbox, that I can't tell you how many people I recommended it to. Two are recorded in Dropbox, and I expect those were people I had formally recommended. But actually, to illustrate how amazing I found Dropbox, I recommended it to almost everyone I corresponded with by email. 

It was fantastic then and even more so now, which made my frustration over the problem encountered this time rather more pronounced.

Really grateful for your help, and also from Walter. Thanks, Daphne.

paul r.4
New member | Level 2

Ah, I think I've found the Dropbox folder on the PC and, going by the current many, many annoucements of files reaching Dropbox, it seems I'm connected up.
Really grateful for your help, from you and Walter.
Best wishes and many thanks
paul

paul r.4
New member | Level 2

B u t ... a rather premature assumption yesterday ...

This morning my laptop tells me that Dropbox has 11.5GB of 21.3GB of storage.

B u t the new PC reports Dropbox contains 1.5GB of 2GB.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @paul r.4, thanks for checking back in with us. 

Could it be that you have signed in to a different account on your laptop, and another one on your computer? 

You can check this by:

• Clicking on the Dropbox icon that's next to your device's clock.
  • Selecting the avatar icon that's on the top right corner of the pop-up menu. 
  • Going to Preferences.
  • Checking under the Account tab.

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?