cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New device with each app startup

New device with each app startup

boing
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm using Dropbox 100.4.409 on Ubuntu 20.04. The application is connected with my account. Each time the app starts with the system the app behaves as a new device and opens the browser to connect the device with my account.

I tried reinstalling the dropbox snap and delete the folders to no avail 😞

20 Replies 20

Re: New device with each app startup

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @boing, I hope you're well today!

Can you let me know a little more info about your current set up in terms of the essential requirements to run the desktop app on a Linux system? You can check out more info about this here.

Also, can you clarify for me how you're booting up your device? Are you running a cleanup on the user profile for each reboot perhaps?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

boing
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04, fresh install after HDD change. Dropbox client was automatically downloaded using nautilus-dropbox package. It keeps dropbox up to date in the background. More or less 2 weeks ago, before the HDD change dropbox was working OK, i didn't have to confirm the host as new device with each startup.

The profile is not cleaned up, it's a standard desktop installation with standard parameters. My home directory is on another HDD, but this is automounted with each reboot via fstab. The issue occurs each time I restart the system or shut it down/start it up again. For some reason dropbox is started normally than, after some time it gets killed and started again with the /corruptdb switch, ps aux at first shows:

boing 2209 0.2 0.0 41096 19632 ? S 21:25 0:00 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/dropbox start -i
boing 2361 9.1 0.4 2319280 162008 ? Ssl 21:25 0:03 /home/boing/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-100.4.409/dropbox

and after a while it gets changed to:

boing 2361 12.3 0.6 4202980 207300 ? Ssl 21:25 0:05 /home/boing/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-100.4.409/dropbox /corruptdb

I assume that for some reason Dropbox cannot read some settings file and forces authentication again.

The current install was done on 25th so at the day the current dropbox version wa sreleased. I'm fairly shure it worked correctly before that.

Best

boing

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @boing.

Can you try re-installing the app on the affected device and let us know if you're still noticing this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

boing
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I did it few times already removing all local directories (.dropbox and .dropbox-dist), purging the nautilus-dropbox package etc. 😞 I also tried to move the Dropbox folder to the system drive. In all cases it behaves the same.

Is there a way to install older version of drobox?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @boing, firstly, it wouldn't be possible to install an older version of the Dropbox desktop application, since it would automatically update to the latest version once it runs.

Are you still experiencing this issue regarding the continuous login attempts on the desktop app? Do you have any security software that could be preventing the app from remaining logged in?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

boing
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I noticed that - I found older backup, dropbox just updated itself. Yes, nothing changed, with each system start dropbox states that I'm linking a new device 😕

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @boing; are you still having issues with this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

boing
Explorer | Level 3

Yum, nothing changed. Honestly I just put my system to sleep to limit hard reboots...

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @boing, thanks for getting back to us and sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this. 

Could you let us know what you see right now when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?