cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New dropbox format - Dec 2019

New dropbox format - Dec 2019

David G.26
Helpful | Level 5

I do not want or enjoy the new dropbox format (Dec 2019). I pay for Dropbox storage. 

I understand that Dropbox might want to "improve" (subjective word) the product offering to entice new customers, etc.

I use dropbox as essentially my D drive on PC where all my data goes. I have a 365 account with allocated OneDrive storage, but try to use only the Dropbox because it seems/seemed better. Thus Dropbox continues to be an essential part of my file organisation.

I want/need dropbox to integrate seamlessly into Windows File Explorer (with the autosync to cloud feature)

Having dropbox try to organise photos and perfom other functions - I have File Explorer for that. I don't need other programs or services to be duplicating the functions of Windows. 

Another issue - Filing - Dropbox in the new format and online displays my folders alphabetically and ignores digital prefixes as in eg "00 Urgent Issues". I do this to move folders to the top or to like-groupings within File Explorer, eg 01 family, 01 holidays. I can do this in File Explorer, but Dropbox ignores this format.

As a minimum, I am hoping that Dropbox can give me the option to opt out of the new format and stick with old basic format which fully integrates with File Explorer AND that file sorting can take into account both letters and numbers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: New dropbox format - Dec 2019

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @David G.26, thanks for your extensive feedback!

You can continue to use your Dropbox folder in File Explorer by following the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray
  2. Seect your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Click Preferences….
  4. Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and choose Finder/File Explorer.

As for the sorting options via the website, have you toggled the ascending and descending options when clicking on the Name filter at the very top of the first column? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @David G.26, thanks for your extensive feedback!

You can continue to use your Dropbox folder in File Explorer by following the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray
  2. Seect your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Click Preferences….
  4. Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and choose Finder/File Explorer.

As for the sorting options via the website, have you toggled the ascending and descending options when clicking on the Name filter at the very top of the first column? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

David G.26
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

Thank you very much for prompt reply.

Your information re changing preferences to stick with the old system and continuing to integrate with Windows File Explorer was most helpful, and has solved the issue.

I also unticked the box "Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox". The other two boxes remain ticked.

Re the sorting options, toggling Ascending/Descending did not correct the issue, and numeric prefixes in folder names are ignored.

As above, I personally find adding the prefixes is valuable in grouping like-folders and won't change it. Having said that, as long as I continue to use Dropbox within File Explorer, this will not be a problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @David G.26

I'm glad to hear that I was able to resolve one of your concerns (regarding File Explorer). 

As for the sorting options, I tested it out using the ascending order option. I found that the list began with folders starting with a symbol (such as a dash '-'), followed by numbers (with zero being at the very top), and then letters.

Could you send me a screenshot of a test folder that includes content that isn't shown in such an order?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Keith-TD
New member | Level 2

I also do not like the new format and wish to return to the old format except the instructions given did not work for me. When I click on my initials at the top right corner nothing happens. I don't see preferences.

I also pay for Dropbox and use it for storage and liked the way it was. It is now to awkward and doesn't show files and the way it did before.

Rich
Super User II

@Keith-TD wrote:

When I click on my initials at the top right corner nothing happens. I don't see preferences.

Preferences was changed to Options.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Keith-TD New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    David G.26 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?