cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New file versions created when I open Excel file (without saving)

New file versions created when I open Excel file (without saving)

NOCI
Explorer | Level 3

When I open a Microsoft Excel file on my computer, a new version is instantly created in the version history in Dropbox online (though the "Date modified" listed in my file explorer is not updated) even when I don't save any changes to the file.  At first I thought this was connected to the AutoSave function in Microsoft Office, but I have turned that off and the issue is still occurring.  Does it have to do with using different versions of Excel?  I'm running Office 2013 and some of the files were created in earlier versions.  Having a bunch of extra versions with no actual changes cluttering up the version history makes it difficult/ annoying to keep track of who is working on vs. just viewing a file that more than one person needs to access.

7 Replies 7

Re: New file versions created when I open Excel file (without saving)

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @NOCI,

What you describe here does sound a little strange indeed! I’d like to ask you to try something from your side. Can you please pause the syncing of the Dropbox desktop app and open the file to view it. Then please close the file without making any changes as you would normally do, and resume the sync of the desktop app.

After doing this, do you see a version created from viewing the file? This should help to isolate the issue.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NOCI
Explorer | Level 3

When I pause syncing - open file - close file - resume syncing, no new version is created in the version history.  (The file does then come up correctly under "Recent" on my home page as recently opened, rather than edited.)

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey again @NOCI,

I'd like to do some further investigation with you on this but I believe we would need to discuss some account specific info. Would you mind if I reach out through our Support channel to the email address associated with your Community profile?

Otherwise, if you already have already submitted a ticket with Support, please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) so that I can follow up with the info you provided here.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NOCI
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne-

There's a different email address that would be easier- is there a way for me to send it to you in a direct message?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @NOCI,

The best way would be for you to submit a Support ticket with the correct email and let me know the reference number you receive for it. Please note that it will need to be the email address of the Dropbox account that you are having the issue with for me to be able to troubleshoot further with you.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

NOCI
Explorer | Level 3

In that case, you can go ahead and email the address that's listed.  Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @NOCI,

I’ve reached out to your email address, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience and let me know in reply to that email that you received this.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?