cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New files don't show up in Finder (MacOS Yosemite)

sean m.45
New member | Level 1

I have engaged in a series of increasingly irritating exchanges with the support desk at DP on this issue, and the party line seems to be that they refuse to admit anything is wrong, because, god forbid, they would have to be accountable to their customers.

Follows are extracts from my email exchanges with Thomas. Read from the bottom up

Hi Sean,

Thanks for clarifying.

We've checked this and it appears to be an issue on Finder's end. We've filed a corresponding bug with Apple with the information you and other users have provided.

Since the issue is out of our hands we can't give a specific timeline for the resolution.

Thank you very much for taking the time to file the report and for your continued patience. We'll reach you out in case we need more follow up information for the bug filed.

Regards,
Thomas

sean, May 3, 10:51 PM:
If there is no bug in DP that requires fixing, how do you explain the following thread?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201166919-New-files-don-t-show-up-in-Fi...

All the problems described in the pages of posts are what I have been experiencing. This is why it is futile asking me about specific files or folders. The problem happens every day when new files or folders are created or moved around. There is no point trying to address the symptoms, as new ones arise every time I try to use your service. When is this GENERAL problem going to be fixed?

Thomas, May 1, 8:16 AM:
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your response.

In short, no, there's no such incompatibility or coding issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Thomas

sean May 1, 3:22 AM:
is there a general compatibility and/or coding or error issue creating syncing problems between DP with Mac OS Yosemite? Please just respond to this question.

Thomas, May 1, 2:42 AM:
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your response.

In your response, you are listing a number of different issues, and in order for me to be able to troubleshoot, I'll need to understand those issues better. Regarding the reappearing files, to see which computer/user that is recreating the files, please look at the version history of the file. To do that:

1) Sign in to the Dropbox website:

https://www.dropbox.com

2) Find the file you'd like to restore
3) Right-click on the file and choose "Previous versions"
4) You'll be able to see which user and computer made the latest changes to the file

Please note that the previous version history is stored for each file, but it isn't stored for folders.

For more information, please visit this Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

Regarding the sync issue that you mention, there are a number of possible reasons why a file appears not to sync. I'll need a bit more information, so it would be great if you could tell me the following:

1. Which files aren't syncing? Please provide specific filenames.
  2. In which folders? Please include the full path to these files.
  3. Shared with which users? Please provide the email addresses associated with their Dropbox accounts.
  4. Using which computers? Use the names at https://www.dropbox.com/account/manage.
  5. Are the files on the website?
  6. Which users/computers can see files and which can't? Use the names from #3 and #4.

Please be as specific as possible, as this will better help me troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you!

Regards,
Thomas

sean, Apr 30, 5:21 AM:
Thank you for your reply.

This issue does not only occur when deleting folders, it occurs when creating new files or folders in DP.

I have had countless episodes where I save a new file in DP where it does not appear on one of my other devices, or on devices of people with whom the folder in which the file was created is shared. I have also had occasions where I can see a file in OS Finder, but when trying to access the very same file from an app such as Adobe Acrobat Pro it is no longer visible. Lastly, I have cleaned up files in a shared folder where they are moved around within the same folder, usually through creating more subfolders, for the files to reappear in their original position, requiring the whole exercise to be repeated. Sometimes repeated several times. None of the examples i have just described relate to other people or computers still accessing them I have also come across a raft of forums in which these syncing problems are described by hundreds of other users within the DP community itself, with DP acknowledging that a problem exists with OS Yosemite. You have, however, made no reference to this. The people I share files with are spread around the world, and we need to have a cloud sharing system that has 100% integrity. The problems we are experiencing are not attributable to our use of the system - this actually needs at some point to be acknowledged. The forums in which DP support commented actually said that there is no set date for a fix on this. Is that still the case?

Thomas, Apr 30, 12:57 AM:
Hi Sean,

Thank you for writing in and sorry for your trouble!

It sounds like you are seeing files reappearing after they have been moved or deleted. Reappearing files and folders usually occur because one or more of the computers that are synced are still accessing the folders. If you delete them, an application on another computer recreates them to continue working on the files.

To solve this issue, you should delete the file or folder from the Dropbox folder on the computer that's recreating the file. You can see which computer has re-added the file by going to the website and checking previous versions of the file.

The instructions for checking a file's version history can be viewed here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

Please note that you can only view the previous version of files not folders. If you have a reappearing folder, you'll need to open the folder until you locate a file, so that you can view the previous version of the file within the folder.

If you are seeing any other issues, please specify which in as much detail as possible, and I'd be happy to help!

Regards,
Thomas

sean, Apr 29, 3:42 AM:
This is a follow-up to your previous request #2760238 "Transactional Survey"

When is dropbox going to resolve the syncing bugs with OS 10 Yosemite? New files do not appear in shared dropboxes, moved files move back to their original locations, delelted files reappear etc etc etc - it is exasperating. There is no integrity in the dropbox file management system within mac OS. Either you offer a working product or you don’t. People pay for your “service”, when will it be actually a working service?

The whole POINT of a cloud service is for synchronising to be seamless. This is a massive inconvenience and disruption in my business

Tim L.16
New member | Level 1

I agree - the more tickets generated the higher priority this bug will become. It's beginning to pass annoying and become frustrating for me now. I started a ticket last week, they had me try simply just quitting dropbox, killing extra processes and relaunching Finder. After telling them it still happened, they had me run a bunch of commands via terminal to essentially ensure proper ownership and it deleted the entire DropBox index. They had me download, reinstall and let it reindex all my files (took a few hours, I have a lot). In the end, no change. Even a file I had in there prior to reinstalling STILL didn't show after a complete reindex. I wrote back Friday evening but haven't heard any new ideas yet.

Hermann S.
Explorer | Level 4

Reposting: Workaround to make your own "Refresh" button. It takes 10 minutes to work through the explanation, but works great.

Create AppleScript, save as "App"
tell application "Finder" to tell front window to update every item
Find File where you saved it in Finder, Command-Drag to Finder Toolbar area.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49543/is-there-a-way-to-refresh-a-finder-file-listing

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20131025093452688

ANAND G.1
New member | Level 1

Hi Hermann,

I actually did this and uploaded the app, so that not everyone has to go through the tutorial. Like this it takes not even a minute to get the button working. (See my post on page 3).
I got now one step further and used this app together with the free software "BetterTouchTool". With this i can make a keyboard shortcut to refresh the finder window. I used Command-R just like in Safari - works perfectly..

Tim L.16
New member | Level 1

I just received this from DropBox support this morning after going through several hoops for them to try different things

Thank you for that information.

We've checked this and it appears to be an issue on Finder's end. We've filed a corresponding bug with Apple with the information you and other users have provided.

Since the issue is out of our hands we can't give a specific timeline for the resolution.

Thank you very much for taking the time to file the report and for your continued patience. We'll reach you out in case we need more follow up information for the bug filed. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Arash E.
New member | Level 1

Just a note of thanks to Herman S. and Mario S. for the simple script found on page 3 of this thread. It's posted by Mario S. and It's an easy workaround which will have to do while Apple gets their s**t together.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry to hear about these issues.

We've checked and it appears these could be Finder refresher issues. We have given Apple all the information our users have provided regarding this.

Unfortunately, we can't give a specific timeline for the resolution, we're sorry 😞

In the meantime, you can temporarily resolve this issue by trying to relaunch Finder:

-Save any files that you have open and close any applications
-Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen
-Click on "force quit"
-Relaunch the Finder

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Brandon L.2
New member | Level 1

XtraFinder provides a quick and easy "Refresh" option + other useful features
(It's free, no catch — I ain't peddling, just recommendin' what works for me)

Steps:
1. Download and install: https://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/
2. Go to the Finder Menu > XtraFinder > Preferences > Add items to Finder menus (the 4th tab) > check "Refresh"
NOTE: For additional features — such as legacy labels, Chrome style tabs, copy path, save open tabs when quitting Finder, etc. — look through the tabs and check your preferred options ON
3. Close preferences, then go to Finder Menu > View > Customize Toolbar
or right click the Finder Toolbar and choose "Customize Toolbar…"
4. Drag the "Refresh" icon to the Finder Toolbar, then click Done
5. Now you can quickly — and painlessly — click the "Refresh" icon when necessary.

Cheers,
Brandon

Mary Sue P.
New member | Level 2

I've tried everything on this page and nothing works. Dropbox is pretty useless to me if I can't access it in Finder. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3 and the most recent version of Dropbox. It works fine on another Mac which is not running Yosemite. I can get to the files via dropbox.com but that is inconvenient and confusing. Any other options?

Dylan K.1
New member | Level 1

I too started having this issue in December. In some situations, modified files did not come across machines, so document changes were lost in space. Big problem. I pay for dropbox and use it as a primary storage across machines. This issue continues until today. Looking at other storage options.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?