cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New files don't show up in Finder (MacOS Yosemite)

Stephane G.2
New member | Level 1

I have been having the same issue for months. Still happening today. Running Yosemite 10.10.3 and Dropbox v3.4.6. It is frustrating as the only way to access these files is to search for them in Finder and then open them. Suddenly, they show up in the correct folder in Finder... Can this be investigated thoroughly? A bit of a major issue for a file syncing app...

Victor M.3
New member | Level 1

This issue seems to be not connected only with DropBox.
I don't use DB desktop application and I also have this issue with delayed displaying the files.
So it deals with the MacOS [Yosemite] system and it just reveals in certain circumstances like this.

mike z.
New member | Level 2

One way to resolve the issue is to click the DropBox icon in the toolbar, and click "pause" and then immediately click "resume". This will update the files in the finder window. This works for me... totally annoying!

Peter H.30
New member | Level 1

Same thing. Running 4 Desktop Macs, all latest software, all presenting with the same issue. Either we trick it into refreshing by adding & then deleting a file in finder or we click on it as a recently changed file from the dropbox icon. File instantly appears.
INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING. Google searches show this to be a widespread issue. Come on DB. Fix it!

Victor M.3
New member | Level 1

I reinstalled MacOs and this disappeared. This is only one solution that I have found.
(as long as I don't use DB desktop application, I just had that bug in my system)

T. Yenchun
New member | Level 1

Same problems here,all apps and OS X updated.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi everyone,

I understand how frustrating this is but as Victor pointed it out, it seems that this is not a Dropbox issue.
This is very likely to be an issue with Finder that is unable to refresh itself.

Each fix you are proposing are good! They mostly are ways to relaunch Finder or trigger a refresh, this is why those are only
temporary 😞

A good and long term workaround would be to use another application to display the files (but there won't be the overlay icons)

I hope this helps!

Matthew A.7
New member | Level 1

Hi Andrea,

Actually, nothing DB has done has helped, helping would mean a fix and a deadline to a fix.

You make a point that this needs to be handled by another application , the application is dropbox. It's not a workaround its clear you cannot rely on finder of MacOS finder, so the functionality has to be built into DB or else any small change to the underlying OS's indexing and displaying affects your application. This seems to be a design flaw and we have the data to show that now, hence this thread.

DB will have to have a parallel index no 2 ways about it. Again I still think the responsibility needs to be with DB and thats the main issue here, shifting to the MacOS finder workings seems to be the mantra, but actually DB needs to create a fix to ensure stability moving forward, clearly if you are hoping to resolve some issue in the finder there will be no stable resolution to this issue, since again your relying on a blackbox functionality which is unreliable.

So some real help here would be to understand what DB is doing on their end to fix this issue moving forward and what the timeframe is. Thats all that counts at this stage.

Thx,
Matthew

mike z.
New member | Level 2

Andrea says it all: This is a problem with the DB application. Passing the buck not only does a disservice to us, it also creates an adversarial relationship between DB and its customers... not to mention reducing faith in DBs ability to fix problems, and in turn commitment to DB itself.

Sam Raining
New member | Level 1

Both myself and a client also using OSX Yosemite (latest version of each) are having this issue. Unfortunately she is not tech savvy enough to ask her to do these work arounds like making an applescript or doing terminal commands. It just got too difficult so we gave up. Our work-around was to switch to Hightail instead (https://www.hightail.com/) which seems to be working well so far, but a bit expensive.

Need more support?