cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New files don't show up in Finder (MacOS Yosemite)

Re: New files don't show up in Finder (MacOS Yosemite)

Jan M.25
Explorer | Level 4

I have been having this problem for several weeks! Running the latest Yosemite and Dropbox. If I do a spotlight search, it finds the file even though it is not showing in Finder. Very frustrating and slows me down when trying to attach files to email or confirm files are in shared dropbox folder.

Jan M.25
Explorer | Level 4

I just read this page and ran the bad file check. https://www.dropbox.com/help/145 . Then I deleted or edited all the bad file names, restarted computer and added a test file to Dropbox. The file showed up in the Finder immediately. Hope this continues...

Charlie T.3
New member | Level 1

Hi Guys,

Add a new folder then immediately delete; This forces a re-sync and seems to fix this every time for me.

Good luck! 🙂

Sam Z.
New member | Level 1

Just adding a "me too" to this issue. Running Mac OS v10.10.2 and Dropbox client v3.2.6.

Luis G.15
New member | Level 1

Hi,
Runing mkdir ${TMPDIR}/com.apple.IconServices in a terminal window (Applications / Utilities / Terminal) and relaunching the finder solved the problem.
To relaunch:

1. Hold the Option key and right-click the Finder icon in the Dock, then select Relaunch.
2. Press Option-Command-Escape or choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, then select the Finder and click Relaunch.

Veronica E.
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem on both of my computers, iMac and MacBook Pro. Both are running OS X 10.10.2 with Dropbox 3.2.6. This is annoying...

Tommaso R.
New member | Level 1

Same here... it's now a few months - at least since November - I have this problem too. Yosemite 10.10.2 and Dropbox v3.2.6.
I'm sharing a folder with a colleague, and have to ask him to mail me every time he adds something or I have no clue wether he did or not. I tried all the "fixes" suggested here but nothing cleared the issue once and for all: and sure, relaunching the finder makes the files appear, but that is neither a convenient nor an efficient solution! Looking forward to a permanent solution!

Alex S.83
New member | Level 1

Having this problem too, it's definitely a Dropbox issue because I can move the folder elsewhere and it works as expected.

Dropbox 3.2.6
Yosemite 10.10.2

Luis G.15
New member | Level 1

Hi,
Runing mkdir ${TMPDIR}/com.apple.IconServices in a terminal window (Applications / Utilities / Terminal) and relaunching the finder solved the problem.
To relaunch:
1. Hold the Option key and right-click the Finder icon in the Dock, then select Relaunch.
2. Press Option-Command-Escape or choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, then select the Finder and click Relaunch.

I think it is not a Dropbox problem. Please answer if those steps that I wrote worked for you too.

Yosemite 10.10.2
DropBox 3.2.6

George H.5
New member | Level 2

Same problem here on Yosemite 10.10.2 and Dropbox 3.2.6

I can see the files from the terminal and restarting the Finder as described above fixes the problem

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay C.7 New member | Level 2
    Ken M.25 New member | Level 1
    Martin S.73 New member | Level 1
    Scott J.4 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?