cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install deleting all file

New install deleting all file

Tumteetum
New member | Level 2
I installed Dropbox on a new computer and it slowly started deleting all my files. I think it's because it sees the new instal as having no files and syncs the whole account FROM that rather than syncing TO that as I had expected it to do. I have managed to recover the files but have had to disconnect the new computer from the internet so I doesn't happen again. Any advice on how to install dropbox on new computer so it downloads the files to that (or some other method) would be appreciated. Thank you.
4 Replies 4

Re: New install deleting all file

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @Tumteetum, welcome to our Community! 

Can you clarify where your files were deleted from?

When you install the app on a device, it starts syncing the content you have online in a newly created folder called "Dropbox".

That shouldn't affect the content you have on your device at all, or interfere with it. 

Is there a possibility that you've enabled our Computer backup feature?

Keep me posted. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tumteetumtum
New member | Level 2

Hi Lori

The files are deleted from the dropbox folders - from the dropbox application on my desktop and also in dropbox cloud (I logged in on chrome and the files were all in the deleted files section showing deleted by me/my username).

Don't thin I enabled 'computer backup'.

I think (but not sure) it's something to do with installing dropbox and creating the dropbox folder, which at the point in time will be empty,  and the cloud dropbox sees that and thinks I've deleted my files. I am going to try and copy my files to a usb and paste them manually into the new dropbox folder.

Tumteetum
New member | Level 2
So I uninstalled/reinstaled dropbox and it seems to be working now (downloading the files). I think it must have been the computer backup option because I selected not now the second time (not sure what I selected first time). 👍

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Tumteetum, I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

Additionally, you might have a second Dropbox account, since there are two usernames in this forum, so I'm not sure if this could be related to the matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Tumteetum New member | Level 2
    Tumteetumtum New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?