cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New release crashes other programs via shell extensions

New release crashes other programs via shell extensions

AllianceMillsof
Explorer | Level 3

Do you guys not test your stuff? Please re-examine your shell extensions. They are causing our program, and others to crash upon trying to open a simple Windows Explorer window.

Pretty **bleep** sloppy!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: New release crashes other programs via shell extensions

Rich
Super User II

You should post a reply on the thread relevant to the version you upgraded to.

As a side note, everything seems to be working fine for me on the latest stable and latest beta releases, including the shell extensions and all other applications. The problem you're having may not be the result of Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

You should post a reply on the thread relevant to the version you upgraded to.

As a side note, everything seems to be working fine for me on the latest stable and latest beta releases, including the shell extensions and all other applications. The problem you're having may not be the result of Dropbox.

AllianceMillsof
Explorer | Level 3

I am not a Dropbox user. I am a developer that has had to deal with users that DO have Dropbox and were upgraded within the last day. I only registered so I could post here.

I can tell you that all users were on Windows 7 machines, 32 and 64 bit. Whatever the latest release is for Windows 7, that's where the problem is.

I can tell that it's a shell extension issue because it affects Windows Explorer openings. Looking thru the support forum there a LOT of shell extension issues. Here is a new one.

Allicorn
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Alliancemilsof,

I think I've got the same issue. Sometimes, explorer windows just terminate instantly and the Event Viewer log seems to indicate it happened in some aspect of the Dropbox shell extension. Can you post an Event Viewer log too? See if we can get these folks to pay attention?

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x58258a90
Faulting module name: DropboxExt64.8.0.dll, version: 1.0.8.0, time stamp: 0x5877ce5e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001511f
Faulting process ID: 0x1614
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2717781877778
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\DropboxExt64.8.0.dll

The action to reproduce here is just to open an explorer window. Now and then, it'll just fail, the window won't appear and this Error log is written. Very intermittant but as a developer working many hours per day in front of this PC, I'm seeing it maybe half a dozen times a day. The worst instance was then it hit the initial post-logon opening of explorer that produces the Desktop. Yeah, I had a black screen with nothing. A reboot got around it because this crash only seems to happen some of the time.

For the time being I've uninstalled Dropbox and haven't had any more of these type of crashes yet. I'll survive like that for a day or two I expect but I hope this gets fixed.

Rich
Super User II
Allicorn,

As I stated above, you should post a reply on the thread appropriate for the version that you're running. That's the only way the developers will see your message. The link to all version threads is above.

AllianceMillsof
Explorer | Level 3

I am NOT a dropbox user. My clients have this problem and getting them deal with error logs, etc is not gonna happen. They seem to be OK just installing the older version of dropbox. From what I see on the developer forums and blogs they have a problem developing shell extensions.

Rich
Super User II

AllianceMillsof wrote:

I am NOT a dropbox user.

And posting in a location that the Developers will see is STILL recommended, otherwise Dropbox will likely not see this thread. This is primarily a user-supported forum.

Post in the section I linked to above, or contact Support.

Allicorn
Explorer | Level 4

Cheers Rich, I'll have a look.

Actually, I'll have to re-install to find out the version number I guess. Maybe that'll fix it anyway, fingers crossed.

bn
Dropboxer

Hi Allicorn,

Thanks for reporting and sorry we (Dropbox) didn't see it sooner (as Rich mentioned, we monitor the client builds parts of the forums much closer). We saw reports of this in 17.4.* and rolled back some changes in 18.4.*, but we've yet to fully understand everything because we've never been able to reproduce things locally and debug.

What platforms have you seen this most frequently on? Is there any way you've been able to reproduce it more reliably than others?

Thanks,

Ben

Allicorn
Explorer | Level 4

Hi BN, thanks for checking in here, much appreciated.

I'm afraid it's just me and my one machine here so not many opportunities for comparison.

Windows 10 Home, always patched up to date

Dropbox appears to be 17.4.35

I mainly just have the entry posted above from the Applications event log, although I've noticed there are a run of entries relating to DbxSvc elsewhere in the log of which two have Error status. I'll post the sequence below:

--- 18/01/2017 14:10:43 DbxSvc

Information> The file is signed and the signature was verified: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_17.4.35\Dropbox.exe

Information> Certificate match for file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_17.4.35\Dropbox.exe

Information> Accepting connection from client: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_17.4.35\Dropbox.exe

Error> Filter Unload failed with: (-2145452013) The system could not find the filter specified.

Information> The file is signed and the signature was verified: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_17.4.35\Dropbox.exe

Information> Certificate match for file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_17.4.35\Dropbox.exe

Information> Accepting connection from client: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_17.4.35\Dropbox.exe

Information> Pipe server thread stopped.

Information> Service stopped.

Information> Service started.

Error> Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. 

Information> Pipe server thread started.

--- 18/01/2017 14:10:50 dbupdate

Information> The description for Event ID 0 from source dbupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service stopped

--- 18/01/2017 14:10:52 WinLogon

Information> The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted.

--- 18/01/2017 14:10:53 dbupdate

Information> The description for Event ID 0 from source dbupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Service started

--- 18/01/2017 14:10:54 dbupdate

The description for Event ID 0 from source dbupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Service stopped

--- nothing else added to the log for an hour, then the following entry occurs at the moment where I have an explorer window open, navigate to a subfolder and the window vanishes. Here's the log entry:

--- 18/01/2017 15:15:38 Application Error

Error> Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x58258a90
Faulting module name: DropboxExt64.8.0.dll, version: 1.0.8.0, time stamp: 0x587ea608
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001511f
Faulting process ID: 0x73c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2719db950691c
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\DropboxExt64.8.0.dll
Report ID: 4b699876-ed8e-401a-8fc3-4ffadcc6824a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

There are a few instances of both the dbxsvc/dbupdate sequence of log entries and of the explorer/dropboxext entry which occurs when I directly experience the issue. There's an hour between the two groups of events above but that's not a consistent pattern; I just have quite a few instances of the dbxsvc/dbupdate sequence of entries and a similar number of the explorer/dropboxext entry.

It's very unhelpful for tracking it down I'm sure but, unfortunately, this really doesn't happen every time nor can I currently find a reliable way to trigger it. Whether the dbxsvc/dbupdate events are related, I don't know.

The specific moment when it happens seems to be either opening an explorer window or navigating into a subfolder from an existing window. Not sure if it's relevant but I tend to use keyboard shortcuts a lot so I'm often opening explorer by typing key folder names into Start->Run and navigating windows by typing the first few characters of the file/folder I want focussed and then hitting Return.

I can post XML versions of the Application log if that's more helpful, LMK.

Thanks again BN!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Allicorn Explorer | Level 4
    bn Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?