cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly created folder disappearing?

Newly created folder disappearing?

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5

Hi all, 

I have an issue with Dropbox on my Macbook Air, just fresh installed Sierra. 

When I create a folder within a subfolder, after approx 5 secs it disappears.

Not sure what is going on or how to fix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Newly created folder disappearing?

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5

Just to update on this issue. I uninstalled Dropbox, removed the Dropbox folder and emptied trash. 

Then downloaded app fresh, installed, selected the folders to sync, and let it pull down the relevant folders/files. 

Just tested and seems to be working! Fingers crossed, but seems like it was just a bad install.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5

To add to this, I've just tried creating a folder through dropbox.com and the same thing happens. 

Create a new folder ~5 secs later -  'Folder X was deleted'

Mark
Super User II
Is Dropbox on an external drive by any chance?
What do you have installed on the Mac that would be moving/tidying or deleting things?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5
No it's not on an external drive at all.
I'm only syncing about 8 folders in total. Nothing I can detect would be interfering with it. Droobox was literally the first thing I installed after the fresh Sierra install.

Mark
Super User II
I'm totally clutching at straws here, but, you've not set up any selective sync settings have you?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5
Yes, selective sync to show a few folders on the mac. Don't need access to the entire folder, just a couple of sub folders.
This was how it was set up before the upgrade and never had an issue?

Mark
Super User II
I'm just wondering if they are corrupted at all. That or the install is corrupt.

I had read it that you'd just set up the machine, is that not the case and you have actually upgraded the OS instead?

If thats the case I'd be tempted to unlink your Dropbox from the computer. Reinstall Dropbox and relink. You'll need to re-configure selective sync

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5
It's a fresh install of Sierra (i.e wiped hdd rather than perform the 'update').
You might be right, might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling. Strange issue. All the more strange that it happens on Dropbox.com as well, not just on my local machine.

Mark
Super User II
If its a total fresh reinstall then Selective Sync shouldnt be present. Dropbox 'loses' all settings when you unlink and reinstall.

I am assuming here that the website issue is because the computer is deleting the files and its then replicating back to the website - Dropbox is just a syncing tool, so whatever happens on the computer will happen on the web as well.

shornuk
Helpful | Level 5
That's right selective sync was on, I enabled it as part of the install. Same as I have always done. I have archive folders on Dropbox I don't need to access all the time.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

shornuk Helpful | Level 5
    Vicky Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?