cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dropbox menu in Clear Linux & GNOME

No Dropbox menu in Clear Linux & GNOME

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

I use Clear Linux and try to get Dropbox working with a GUI menu for settings and configuration. In Windows we have a little Dropbox icon to do that, but icons are not supported in the recent GNOME versions. In case of Clear Linux we have GNOME 3.34 now.

I tried to install Dropox with flatpak, reboot and when I click on the Dropbox icon, only the deamon starts and downloads my files. But no GUI anywhere to configure Dropbox.

Than I removed the flatpak and followed the steps for Nautilus integration here:

https://github.com/dropbox/nautilus-dropbox

That also worked, I can see Dropbox features when I right-click on folders, but when Dropbox runs, its still just the deamon running with no GUI to configure anything.

I know there are command line options, but thats not what I am looking for.

Is there any way to get a proper Dropbox GUI in Linux as it is in Windows ?

5 Replies 5

Re: No Dropbox menu in Clear Linux & GNOME

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Pummelchen

Thanks for posting your question on the Dropbox Community! 

In general, if your device does not meet the OS requirements, you may still be able to use the desktop app on your computer, but results and performance may vary. 

Just to ensure, are you referring to the Dropbox icon that you see on a system tray or menu bar

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6

Hello Lusil,

in Windows and Debian 10 I saw Dropbox having a little icon which offers settings and configuration options.

As GNOME by default removed any app icons, there were some workarounds to enable the legacy icon support required for Dropbox:

- Use the GNOME extension "AppIndicator"

- Start Dropbox with "dbus-launch dropbox start"

However none of these tricks work in Clear Linux, which is a rolling release and aims to remove legacy things in Linux.

What we need from Dropbox is a simpe GUI just like gedit which works on any GNOME desktop, no matter which underlying Linux distro there is.

Also I'm a business user, and we need a simple GUI to roll out Clear Linux as a workstation OS. The Dropbox GUI issue is holding us back.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Pummelchen,

Is there any reason not to use Xfce, the default one for Clear Linux, but GNOME is in use? :thinking: I'm just curious.

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Its a personal preference. Dropbox should work on any major GUI, considering its a commercial product. I pay the 3TB plan which is not cheap.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Yes of course. :wink: I fully agree with you!

But as an workaround would be easier Xfce configuration till the GNOME solution (if and whenever Dropbox find it). :wink:

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?