cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No access to my Mac Desktop

No access to my Mac Desktop

SarahLouDean
New member | Level 2

Hi, I installed Dropbox Desktop app for my Macbook as wanted to move some folders to Dropbox (free acc as I didn't need much storage). I didn't want Dropbox to take all of my files so when I realised it wasn't discriminating, I stopped the sync, disconnected it from my Mac and moved it to trash. Now I have no desktop. I only have an icon of Mackintosh HD as my only desktop folder on my Mac. I can't save things to my desktop, everything has a strange filepath (which sometimes includes a dropbox folder). How do I get my Desktop link back? Please note I have moved everything back from my trash and nothing has changed. Thanks 

15 Replies 15

Re: No access to my Mac Desktop

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @SarahLouDean, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this!

From what you mentioned, it seems that the computer backup was enabled during the setup of the app.

As you've already restored the folder from the Trash, can you let me know if you see shortcut icons to the Desktop when you follow these steps?
  1. Open a Finder window.
  2. From the menu bar, click "Go" and choose "Home".
If possible, please send along a screenshot of what you see there, excluding any personal info.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SLD12
Explorer | Level 3

Hi this is me  SarahLouDean - I keep having to make new Dropbox accounts just to view these comments, which makes no sense! I am feeling very frustrated. I worked out what you meant. This is what I see.

Snip20210329_2.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @SLD12!

You should just be able sign into your existing Dropbox account online and access the Community from there.

Now, for the screenshot you sent, do you also see a shortcut/alias for "Desktop", like the one you see for "Downloads"?

If so, please delete this shortcut icon, and then in the same location choose to create a new folder with the name "Desktop".

Please try that out and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SLD12
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. I have deleted the alias and created a new Desktop folder. 

SLD12
Explorer | Level 3

Hi - You went AWOL - please let me know what to do next thanks 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Awesome, thanks for the update @SLD12!

So next, we're going to add the folders back to the sidebar in your Finder, if it's not already showing there:
  1. Open up a Finder window
  2. Click "Finder" from the menu bar.
  3. Choose "Preferences".
  4. Go to the "Sidebar" tab and select the Desktop folder.
Now, you should be able to move files to the Desktop folder, so please give that a go!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

SLD12
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry misunderstood. You want me to move things into the new folder not my actual desktop. Doing that now. What after that? If you could give me a list of instructions in one message that would be great thanks. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
You should be able to move them to the folder or the Desktop itself @SLD12

If you have any other folders that were affected in the same way (eg. Downloads or Documents), then you can follow the same process we took for the Desktop folder.

If you're able to move the files back into those folders, then we should be done with reverting the changes.

However, if you notice any issues with these folders, let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

SLD12
Explorer | Level 3

I am not sure I have been clear enough about my actual problem. I cannot save any folders onto my actual desktop screen. My desktop (i.e. the screen where I open my mac) only shows my hd mackintosh icon and that's it. That's what I need to fix. Rather than a folder named Desktop, I need the folders and files to appear on my actual screen desktop. Does that make sense? My home screen is just blank except for the HD mackintosh icon and I'd like to drag and drop my folders here but it does not work. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    SLD12 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?