cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No longer Syncing after new permissions granted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Few steps here but could really use the help. 

I have 3 drives (C, D, E) each 1 terrabyte.  I had originally saved my work dropbox on the C drive.

We work with a team over seas and they had updated permissions so that I could have access to a nested Design folder. 

Shortly after, my dropbox stopped syncing to ANY of the other workers shared folders, local or otherwise. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling (without deleting the local files) and have tried to make a new copy of our pipeline by attempting to re-download and sync to my E drive, but my small dropbox icon in the bottom right corner is permanently stuck on "starting" or "syncing" . 

Ive tried to reinstall with selective sync with also no use. 

I just wanted any form of this to work whether its re-linking to C:  or starting fresh on the E: 

Please help! 

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: No longer Syncing after new permissions granted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @PlsHelpAnthony, thanks for the detailed post & trying to fix that on your end!

For starters, you should be able to access the shared folder on your account online regardless of the syncing status. If you see it on your Sharing tab, you can add it to your account & view the team files. 

As you mentioned that you’ve un-installed & re-installed already Anthony, it looks like the app wouldn’t connect to our servers correctly. If it’s not too much to ask, can you confirm whether you’ve disabled your Antivirus/Firewall for the new installation? How did you point the new intsallation to the E:\ drive? 

In order to make sure I’m following-up correctly, can you include a screenshot (omitting personal info) in your next message for me showing me what’s your current sync status? If that’s looping or isn’t stable, please let me know. 

Once I have this info, I‘ll do my best to further advise. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

dropbox_v01.jpgdropbox_v01.jpg

Thank you for the response Jane. Since talking to you it "unexpectedly quit" and crashed itself.  Restarting it has brought it back to the "syncing" limbo that it was on before. 

My Windows Defender is currently off and dropbox is allowed permissions through the firewall. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Furthermore Jane, 

I am able to access the browser version of dropbox and download my assets locally. 

Unfortunately any changes I make to the representative dropbox on the desktop app folder are no longer reflected. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for gathering all these details @PlsHelpAnthony!

I’d suggest Fixing permissions & Hardlinks through the app Preferences as the best next step at this point. 

(Note: Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically as failure to do so may result in other issues)

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running & click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray. → Then click next to your profile picture in the Notifications panel. 
  2. Select 'Preferences' & then navigate on the 'Account' tab.
  3. Hold down the 'Space' key. 
  4. Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Space' key & then the ‘Fix Hardlinks’ button. 
  5. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones. 
You can also try unlinking & relinking your account to your pc once to re-create the local database

Please let me know how you get on when you have a minute. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?