cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option to move dropbox folder location under sync preferences?

No option to move dropbox folder location under sync preferences?

bigspaghetti
Helpful | Level 5

I was given an external hard drive by my job to use as a place to sync our shared dropbox files since my mac doesn't have enough storage to keep them all on the internal. However, when I went to transfer the dropbox folder to my external under the sync preference, there wasn't an option to do so. The only options avaialable are smart sync and selective sync, no third option to move the dropbox folder location.

Right now I have selective sync on with some important folders I need but this isn't ideal, I would really like to have access to everything on my external drive and have everything live sync there. (I understand this isn't reccomended but my workstation is stationary and the drive will always be plugged in) I know this is possible because my colleagues have done the same and they had the option to move their dropbox folder. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and still no luck. I've even tried installing it onto my external drive but it still looks for the old folder on my machine and doesn't create a new one in the external. 

If it's helpful, my OS is Big Sur 11.1 and Drop Box v112.4.321.

Thank you!

18 Replies 18

Re: No option to move dropbox folder location under sync preferences?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @bigspaghetti; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this

Can you please reboot your computer and let me know if this persists?

In case it does, please send us a screenshot of what you get in the app's preferences.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jvh4
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. The internal harddive on my MacMini is only 256GB so I don't have room for my dropbox folder, and even with selective sync, I frequently work with files larger than the space I have available on the local hard drive. I've had my drop box folder on a USB C connected external for years without issue, but now that I've upgraded to Big Sur (11.1) and v112.4.321 it wouldn't run. I tried a reinstall, and it wouldn't let me install on an external drive. 

Preferences doesn't allow you to move your folder location.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 2.09.30 PM.png

bigspaghetti
Helpful | Level 5

Glad to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I've tried rebooting my Mac and reinstalling the app itself but nothing has changed. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 9.04.59 AM.png

Can't Move Dropbox Folder (MacOS)

jrcchicago
Explorer | Level 4

I recently bought a new Mac Mini with a 2TB internal drive in large part so that I could move my Dropbox folder to the internal drive instead of the external HDD I've been using for the past few years with my old computer. Unfortunately, the Sync tab under Preferences doesn't include the "Dropbox location" option (see screenshot), and I can't find it anywhere else. I have tried signing out and signing back in, uninstalling and reinstalling the application (on the new computer), but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Dropbox Location field missingDropbox Location field missing

Re: Can't Move Dropbox Folder (MacOS)

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @jrcchicago, let's see what we can do about this. 

Since you've already tried reinstalling the desktop app, could you also give an advanced reinstall a shot? Maybe that will do the trick.

Give me a nudge whenever you have any updates, thanks!

PS. Please remember that if you're on a Basic (free) account, you'll have to make sure that you have two or less already connected devices before you continue. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Brammr
New member | Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem. Did a clean install and updated to Big Sur. The option to choose the Dropbox location is gone in the new app. My Dropbox folder was on a different volume than the standard location which Dropbox chooses for me after installation.

I can't find the option to do an advanced installation. It just let me choose which folders to sync.

CPFM
Explorer | Level 4

@DropBox, when will this be resolved? This will cripple our buinsess as we're updating all drives/machines over the break with no available option to "move" location of DropBox folder. Please advise of the solution.

Lusil
Dropboxer

In this case, I'd recommend contacting our Support team from this page so as to have a better look into it. 

Once you do that, could you let me know the relevant ticket ID (eg. #1234567)?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jwyoung5
New member | Level 2

Same issue here, but with 11.0.1.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    rieglerphoto Explorer | Level 4
    wanamirazman New member | Level 2
    baltas varnas New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?