Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Not seeing edit button when I open an Excel file in iOS Dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

I've followed the instruction on how to open and edit an Office file in mobile Dropbox, and it tells me to tap on the edit button to open the file in appropriate Office app — Excel in my case. But there's no edit button.

I have the appropriate Excel app, and it opens Excel docs from excrutiatingly slow OneDrive. I would use OneDrive if it was bearable but it isn't. The thing is, the fact that works, albeit painfully, with OneDrive tells me I'm probably close to getting it to work in Dropbox.

But I do need that edit button. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Not seeing edit button when I open an Excel file in iOS Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @ludd1te, assuming that you’ve installed the latest versions of the Dropbox and Office apps & you’re following the steps outlined here:

1. Open the Dropbox mobile app.
  2. Navigate to the file & tap to open it.
  3. Tap the edit button (it should look like an a capital I) & the file opens in the appropriate Microsoft Office app.

You should see something similar to the screenshot I'm attaching below: 

EditingIcon.png

Can you see that? If you don't, would you mind attaching a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing on your end? This would be really helpful, in order to further advise on the matter. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @ludd1te, assuming that you’ve installed the latest versions of the Dropbox and Office apps & you’re following the steps outlined here:

1. Open the Dropbox mobile app.
  2. Navigate to the file & tap to open it.
  3. Tap the edit button (it should look like an a capital I) & the file opens in the appropriate Microsoft Office app.

You should see something similar to the screenshot I'm attaching below: 

EditingIcon.png

Can you see that? If you don't, would you mind attaching a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing on your end? This would be really helpful, in order to further advise on the matter. Thanks in advance! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks very much Jane. I was following Dropbox instructions that described the edit button as "a pencil and paper icon". It must have changed at some point but that's what I was looking for. In any event I do get the icon that your screenshot describes.

Again, many thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Awesome @ludd1te & I appreciate it that you circled back to me on this discussion to let me know of the result. Also, I’d like to thank you for your feedback in regards to the icon that’s changed; I’ve made sure to pass it on to the relevant team!

Don’t hesitate to let us know of any additional questions or thoughts you may have in the future & it’ll be a pleasure to discuss it again with you. Happy Dropboxing & I hope you have a relaxed weekend ahead! 

Jane

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue and no icon is appearing at all. Can you assist?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @amounmd, we sure can; thanks for checking in with us on the matter!

If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening; please include it in your next message if possible. Additionally, can you let me know of the OS & Dropbox app version you’re running, so as to make sure we’re on the same page? Thanks in advance!

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?