cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing happens when I click the DB icon in the system tray (Win 10)

Nothing happens when I click the DB icon in the system tray (Win 10)

AthenaDemos
New member | Level 2

It was working a few weeks ago, but now its not. When I right or left click the DB icon in the system track nothing happens. When I cntl click, the old menu comes up. But just clicking it like I normally did, nothing happens. 

I read an old post from 2015 that I might need to uninstall DB and reinstall it. Question, do I need to back up my files to an external drive when I do that, or will they remain in the cloud server. Im afraid that uninstalling DB will cause me to lose those files.

3 Replies 3

Re: Nothing happens when I click the DB icon in the system tray (Win 10)

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @AthenaDemos, I hope you're well today!

If you were to uninstall the desktop app, the Dropbox folder on your computer won't be affected and will remain on your computer. Your files will stay safely in your Dropbox account online.

Out of curiosity, which version of the app do you have installed? Since you can open the old menu with Ctrl+Click, you can open the "Preferences" and go to the General tab to see the version.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AthenaDemos
New member | Level 2

Thank you for these instructions. The version is v99.4.501  I believe that is the most recent version and it updated in June which is about the time that I started having the problem with the system tray icon not working. 

Do you think it will make a difference if I uninstall and reinstall the same version? 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @AthenaDemos!

I'd suggest trying a reinstall of the desktop app.

However please keep in mind that if you have a Dropbox Basic account and currently have more than 3 devices connected, you'll need to unlink all but 2 devices to be able to reconnect this device. 

You can check out more info about this here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?