cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications

sajones85
Explorer | Level 3

I work with a team and we tag eachother in the folders when there have been changes. I used to be able to click on the dropbox app on my computer and click go to notifacation. Now the only option is to "dismiss notification" and "mark as read." I want to be able to go to the folder where the notification is instead of clicking on the notification and then having to find it in all of drop box by searching. 

12 Replies 12

Re: Notifications

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @sajones85; welcome to our Community!

You should be able to get re-directed to the content your notifications point to by double clicking on the notifications themselves. 

Can you give it a go and let me know if this works for you?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sajones85
Explorer | Level 3

I can double click and it will take me to the document on the online version of dropbox. But I used to be able to go to it in the file folder on the desktop dropbox version it was located in so I could open multiple files at one time. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick follow up @sajones85.

Can you see if selecting to open files through your Windows Explorer/Finder via the app's preferences help with what you had in mind?

You can change this setting by following the steps from the following link:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/desktop-application-overview#finder 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sajones85
Explorer | Level 3

No, that doesn't work either. When I receive notifications that I've been tagged, I used to be able to to click the 3 dots next to the notification and it would give me the option to "view in dropbox." When I click on it under notifications the only option I have is to double click, which opens the drop box browser or on the three dots now is "mark as read" or "dismiss notifications." When I followed the directions you gave, nothing changed. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @sajones85!

You mentioned that the notifications that you're getting are comments where you've been @mentioned by another user. Can you just clarify if this is the exact same style of notification that you were receiving previously and opening within the Dropbox app?

If the notification was for shared file/folder for example, double clicking this will open it within the Dropbox app. If you have another notification that's related to a comment, can you let me know if double clicking this correctly opens in the file in the Dropbox app?

Also, which version of the app are you currently running?

Keep us posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

sajones85
Explorer | Level 3

I have the app on my desktop. There is a box in my toolbar that alerts me when there are notifications for me "@myname." I click on the dropbox icon in my toolbar with the numbers on it (showing the number of notifications) When I click on it, there are all my past and unread notifications. It was the exact same notification I recieved before, I've changed nothing in how I've tried to look at my notifications. 

When I double click the notification it opens the web browser version of dropbox, not the app version. 

In the past I could click "go to notification." If there is another way to go into dropbox, (I prefer the app, but will use the online version) and see the folders where I've been notified I'd use that method. To give a bit of background what happens is another employee adds documents and creates folders and she notifies me and I go in and double check them and I have to open multiple files in the same folder at the same time. 

It says its up to date, but its version v100.4.409

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi again sajones85; how are you today?

I just tested this out on my machine and I was able to navigate to the folder's structure by double clicking on the notification itself. I also tried changing the app's preference to set it to open files via the file explorer instead of the Dropbox desktop app and it worked as well. 

Can you let us know what kind of files are giving you this behavior?

If they are web based files, like gdocs or .paper files for example, it's normal that you'd get re-directed to the website when accessing the notification in question. 

Let us know what you find! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

sajones85
Explorer | Level 3

I have to tell you, this is frustrating...but I so appreciate you trying to help. They are PDF files and excel files.  Open folders in: File explorer or Dropbox Desktop app it doesn't matter which one is chosen, if I double click on a file it opens the file on dropbox.com.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick follow up @sajones85.

I understand this is not optimal, but we're here to help troubleshoot until we get to the bottom of this.

That said, at this point, you might want to re-install the desktop app as it might do the trick here.

If that doesn't work though, could you take a look at your account's connected apps tab and your default apps tab (in case you have this) and let me know what you find in regards to Excel or PDF files?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sajones85 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?