cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSX.Trojan.Gen in loginhelper?

OSX.Trojan.Gen in loginhelper?

AngeloM
New member | Level 2

My virus detection software (Symantec Endpoint Protection) deleted this file yesterday during a scheduled scan:

/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/loginhelper.app/Contents/MacOS/loginhelper

Running v26.4.24 on OSX 10.11.6

Has anyone else run into this?

6 Replies 6

Re: OSX.Trojan.Gen in loginhelper?

Mark
Super User II
There was a similar post earlier in the week which said it was a false positive.

Upgrading to newer definitions 'fixed' the issue

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: OSX.Trojan.Gen in loginhelper?

AngeloM
New member | Level 2

I've updated, hopefully that solves it.

Thanks!

Loginhelper Symantec virus

lala
New member | Level 2
Hi, I had the same problem. I searched but couldn't find the original post that the trojan detection is 'false'. Can you help? Lala

Loginhelper Symantec virus

lala
New member | Level 2

Hi, I had the same problem. I searched but couldn't find the original post that the trojan detection is 'false'. Can you help? Lala

Re: Loginhelper Symantec virus

Mark
Super User II
I cant I'm afraid, its vanished.

But Symantec is well known to not play well with Dropbox and will often flag false positives within the Dropbox structure (usually the cache).

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Norton for business

jhoneyball
Explorer | Level 4

Running Dropbox V27.3.20 for mac

Norton For Business (aka Norton Security) v 7.4 kills off 

/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/loginhelper.app/Contents/

saying it is OSX.Trojan.Gen

Has done this on two computers

I have reported it to Norton support, although that took the best part of an hour, and root canal work without anaethestic would have been preferable.

you might want to shout at Norton.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jhoneyball Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    lala New member | Level 2
    AngeloM New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?