OSX app v36.4.22, Word for Mac, and Japanese input

Helpful | Level 6

Greetings from Kyoto, Japan.

I use the following combination:

- OS X 10.12.6

- Dropbox.app v36.4.22

- Word for Mac 15.38 (170902)

- ATOK 2015 for Mac Ver. 28.0.2

The last item above, ATOK, is a Japanese languge input system. You type in alphabetical letters and this keyboard (aka "input method editor" or "front end processor") turns strings into East Asian characters.

After the last Dropbox update, the Japanese input does not work on Word for Mac when Dropbox.app is running. When I close Dropbox.app, things will be all right. In the same vein, if I boot my Macbook in the safe mode (hence Dropbox.app is not loaded), I can type normlly in Japanese in Word for Mac.

Other programs, such as PowerPoint for Mac, Chrome browser, and a couple of text editors, do not have any problem even when the latest Dropbox.app is running.

A more detailed description of the Japanese language input issue is: you are supposed to be able to choose from a list of characters that match phonetic/alphabetical strings. I can do that for up to three letters. When I type in the fourth letter, with Dropbox.app running, I can't choose from the list.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: OSX app v36.4.22, Word for Mac, and Japanese input

Helpful | Level 6

Hi, there,

With the Dropbox.app update to v38.4.27, it looks like my woes are gone!

Does anyone object to me signing this thread off as "solved"? You know, many people thad hought that the problem was solved, but it persisted in my case, and I don't want to call this off just because the problem disappeared in _my_ environment.

But thank you, Dropbox, I can start using it again!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. It started from just today (06/OCT/2017). (Probably becuase of the update to 36.4.22?

According to the MS community posts, when similar issue happened before, if you switch off the badge, the isssue was solved. But this time it seems that is not enough. I have to quit Dropbox desktop app when I edit Word files.

It's so frustrating and inconvenient!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I've learned that many people have seen this problem solved/disappear (for no obvious reasons), as is reported in the Japanese language discussion on this topic:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/%E5%9B%9E%E7%AD%94%E3%82%92%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2/Dropbox-%E3%83%90%E3%8...

Sadly, the PROBLEM PERSISTS  in my environment, even after the Dropbox update to version 37.4.29.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Hey guys

Sounds like a definite issue with Dropbox.

Have any of you logged a ticket with support yet? www.dropbox.com/support to log and http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey all, we've had our engineers working on this and it's been fixed.

Please try again and you should find that this functionality works correctly.

Also, if it's not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Happy Halloween!   

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi, there,

With the Dropbox.app update to v38.4.27, it looks like my woes are gone!

Does anyone object to me signing this thread off as "solved"? You know, many people thad hought that the problem was solved, but it persisted in my case, and I don't want to call this off just because the problem disappeared in _my_ environment.

But thank you, Dropbox, I can start using it again!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @YGaryO, thanks for confirming!

I've gone ahead & marked the thread as "Solved", as we haven't received any new reports regarding this issue. 

Hope you have a great rest of the day ahead & please feel free to get back in touch on the Community at any time if you experience any issue or have further questions!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?