cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off line, but not

Off line, but not

Medrod
Explorer | Level 4

Got a new computer two weeks ago. It came with a one year enhanced storage; that's nice. The local Dropbox (on my new computer) shows all my files, but online it doesn't. When I logon and sign into my account, Dropbox recognizes me but control panel, in the lower, left portion, on the blue background, tells me that I am "off line".

Obviously not true or I wouldn't have been able to log onto my account. In addition, my local Dropbox does not sync with the cloud Dropbox.

Where do I go from here?

5 Replies 5

Re: Off line, but not

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Medrod, thanks for joining our Community!

When you install the Dropbox application on a computer and sign in to your account, the application should sync all your already existing Dropbox files to a Dropbox folder in your hard drive.

What steps did you follow on your new computer?

Can you also send me a screenshot of this 'offline' message, so I can check it out?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Medrod
Explorer | Level 4

I found out that even though I couldn't see the dropbox icon on the computer, that is what was being opened and indicating that it was off line. I signed onto Dropbox and everything seemed to work fine until today. I saved a couple of screen captures and was offered, on this computer, to save them to Dropbox. I said, "Yes". Looking for them now, they are not in the On Computer dropbox and I am again told that I am off line. Trying to login to dropbox, I see that the http address switches to dropbox.com/home. I don't know if that is online or on my computer. When I go to the Dropbox login page, it will no longer accept my sign in and when I ask to reset my pass word, I'm informed that a link is sent to me but 20 minutes later...nothing in my email.

The screen savings I tried were intercepted by and ended up in One Drive which I have been trying to get rid of but even though I've unlinked it, it apparently it is still there.

At this point, I don't know if the problem is with dropbox or one drive, except that dropbox now won't accept my password.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update!

Would you mind sending me the screenshot of the 'offline' message that you get?

And also, can you please check the syncing status of the Dropbox application? You can see that by hovering your mouse over the small Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar. You mentioned that you don't see the Dropbox icon, but can you double-check and let me know what you see?

As for the password reset issue, check your spam folder as well, to see if the email went there.

If not, add the no-reply@dropbox.com address to your email contacts and try resetting again.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Medrod
Explorer | Level 4

Well, it's all resolved. Not sure why or how but I removed and reinstalled Dropbox. Did some general tweeks on the new computer to address other problems that I had by allowing the new pc to auto install drivers for my printer and scanner, among other things, and when I eventually got back to Dropbox, it's functioning fine with no error messages. No error messages, no problems. My old p/w that I told it to replace is even working - that's a strange happening. No, nothing was in the spam folder. I can't even duplicate the sync error and off line msgs that I was getting. To be truthful, I haven't pushed it too hard because, now, it "ain't broken, so don't fix it".

I've had computers for 40 years and this is the first "off the shelf" one that I've had for over 25. Never had this many problems with any where I bought the parts I wanted and built my own.

I've been using Dropbox for many years with no problem and I believe this problem was not really Dropbox but, rather, a Dell issue. After several phone calls, to Dell and others, all issues seem to be resolved and stable. I really appreciate your time and effort and now consider this issue resolved. I wish I could point to a specific thing and say, "That's what fixed it", but I can't. Anyway, thank you very much for being there and letting me know that I had someone trying to help. I appreciated that.

Rich M.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thank you so much for getting back to me and letting me know that everything is resolved now, Rich. 

I'm happy to see that it is, and happy to have helped, but of course, if you ever need anything else, just give us a shout.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Medrod Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?