cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneDrive has been uninstalled, but DropBox is still detecting it and denying sync to Desktop

OneDrive has been uninstalled, but DropBox is still detecting it and denying sync to Desktop

Sintrance
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OneDrive comes as part of the Windows 10 (Home, 64-Bit) bundle—I have recently switched out my boot drive SSD for a larger one (to better set up for DropBox cloud syncing) and installed Windows as usual. I immediately uninstalled OneDrive and began setting up DropBox, only to find that DropBox is keeping me from syncing to my Desktop even though OneDrive has been removed from my computer.

I made sure to disable all OneDrive syncing before uninstalling it just in case of any latent evidence of OneDrive remaining on my system. All file locations are in their original locations and haven't been moved. I've shut down, restarted, made sure that there are no active OneDrive instances running, but DropBox is still detecting OneDrive somehow. I'd like to know how this check is performed so that I can prevent this false flag and successfully sync my Desktop.

At the moment I am paying for the 2TB plan and am unable to sync anything because of this issue—this is a bit of a major problem for Windows users, and I've seen other DropBox customers with similar questions who were unable to find a solution. I'd prefer to be able to use DropBox as it was intended to be used since I have a renewing subscription. Screenshot below.

Untitled.png

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sintrance
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

To anyone looking for the solution, the problem I was experiencing is that Windows 10 packages have the Desktop located under OneDrive in new Windows installations. This remains even after completely uninstalling OneDrive. This isn't immediately apparent since the directories look like this in the Explorer sidebar - 

Untitled.png

However, upon further inspection through the properties tab, the Desktop is indeed under OneDrive, which is at this point uninstalled and an effectively unused file path - 

Untitled2.png

By selecting "Restore Default", I was able to properly set the parent folder and fully remove OneDrive from the equation.

I'm leaving this up in case anyone has a similar experience as none of the other related questions asked included this information or any solution of their own. Good luck and I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sintrance
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

To anyone looking for the solution, the problem I was experiencing is that Windows 10 packages have the Desktop located under OneDrive in new Windows installations. This remains even after completely uninstalling OneDrive. This isn't immediately apparent since the directories look like this in the Explorer sidebar - 

Untitled.png

However, upon further inspection through the properties tab, the Desktop is indeed under OneDrive, which is at this point uninstalled and an effectively unused file path - 

Untitled2.png

By selecting "Restore Default", I was able to properly set the parent folder and fully remove OneDrive from the equation.

I'm leaving this up in case anyone has a similar experience as none of the other related questions asked included this information or any solution of their own. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Sintrance, thanks for reaching out about this.

This is great, I'm happy to see you were able to figure out and resolve this.

This should definitely prove useful for other users, in case they come across this error as well. 

If you have any other questions, make sure to let us know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KingAlbright1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Does Onedrive need to be uninstalled from my PC for Dropbox to work or does it just have to be disabled?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @KingAlbright1, thanks for joining the discussion here.

I just wanted to clarify that you don't need to uninstall One Drive from your computer to install the Dropbox desktop app. You'll only need to disable it if you want to use the computer backup feature. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    KingAlbright1 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Sintrance New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?