cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing issues with Dropbox - no support in sight?

Ongoing issues with Dropbox - no support in sight?

william w
New member | Level 2

Preface - I liked the old style Dropbox, I work in IT with 20 years experience and just liked having it on my file explorer, and my mobile devices. I do not need or want the smart synch option. I have been using Dropbox a while, payed monthly about 2 years ago, which is fine, I truly like Dropbox. My problems began a couple months ago, my PC was getting uploaded to Dropbox via smart-synch, I tried several times using online chat, the rep was at least trying, but I gave up and we closed ticket. Not that it matters if 1 customer leaves, but few days ago, I re-imaged my desktop and laptops, all I want is to simply have old Dropbox back, no backing up of my documents, download folder, etc. I emailed technical support, 3 days ago I was asked to please send detailed screen sgots, which I did. I never heard back from the rep, ever. Being in technical support, I try to provide excellent service, I gave the tech rep all the info pertinent to issue in email - on my Dropbox account, all I want to do is not have smart synch (which I already have gone into preferences and made sure all the settings were correct), but in my online Dropbox folder and on all my local computers, my computer folder are still there, and I get an error when I go into Dropbox website, go to the right, click on the dots, tell it to delete all of the PC folders, except my 6 Dropbox folders I have been using forever, it gives an error message on website, goes through motions of deleting folder for my old PC, but spits up error message. And fails to delete folders.

I will not follow up with support, it is her reponsibility to at least respond back with acknoledgement of my 6 screen shots i sent, maybe even let me know it is being looked at, but nothing, at all. I use Zendesk daily, again I have 20 year of IT experience, I even each IT certs at a local college. My biggest issue is 2 months ago I simply told the rep at that time when I saw it would not be fixed (just turning iff smart synch completely) and let it go, and now, the odsaity of the rep after 3 days not returning back to my problem, just poor technical support. 

What my expectations are - As I elaborated in the response back to the rep few days ago who never responded back - please look at the screen shots, if needed have tier 2 or tier 3 take a look, and maybe even give me a phone call as a follow up? Just a thought - I also in email told her I am fine to have someone in tier 2 or 3 to remote into my PC, if needed. So, the problem remains, I know there is someone from Dropbox that will reply back and I am hoping to get this resolved. I would rather not use Google Drive or Onedrive, I know one customer leaving is not a big deal, but just an fyi - the technical support I have received is absolutely terrible. If I keep tickets open, or leadership runs reports showing customer hsa not had issue resolved in few days, I am held accountable for doing my job. I do not want an apology, just to get problem fixed - I want all of my PC folders to be able to be removed from the website, and I would like to have file synch completely turned off. And aside from all of that, I would hope someone here can find out who and why the technical support never followed up 3 days later.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Re: Ongoing issues with Dropbox - no support in sight?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @william w, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

At first, if you don't want to use Smart Sync on your account, you can simply opt out of the system extension from your General tab online. You can find more info about how to do this, here

As for the folders you describe that you're unable to delete, it sounds like you have our automatic computer backup enabled from your desktop app, which allows you to save certain computer folders.

If you don't want to use it this feature, you can turn if off. You can check out more details and how to disable it, in this article.  

Once you do this, your files will remain in your Dropbox account, but they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. Instead, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder.

Nonetheless, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder back to their original folders at any point in time. 

Finally, I was able to find the ticket that you that you mention, and have made sure to pass your comments along.

If there's anything else I can do to help or you have any other questions, just give me a shout. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

I'm dissatisfied with the customer service options

GothamSenator
New member | Level 2

I recently uninstalled the Dropbox app on my computer.

This was a result of not being able to easily turn off the automatic sync function. I was considering switching to Dropbox because I'm a little dissatisfied with my current cloud backup/file sharing solution provider. However, when I found that I could only receive help through the community forum (the same forum that was unable to provide a quick, simple solution to my syncing issue, I realized that I could never switch to a company that has the same customer service issues as the current.

When will tech firms recognize there's a need to balance the digital and human element? There's a lot of talk about UI, UX, CX etc., unfortunately (or fortunately if you're looking to compete), there's very very few actually executing on this premise.

Your loss Dropbox - see ya and good riddens to bad rubbish as they say!!

Re: I'm dissatisfied with the customer service options

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @GothamSenator, thanks for posting today.

I understand that the automatic computer backup isn't what you wanted on the Dropbox desktop application. The steps to disable it can be found here.

Regarding the support options, we have been developing dropbox.com/support to optimize our customer’s experience through self-serve solutions and automated troubleshooting.

With many changes now in place we are in a position to provide our customers with a self-serve support experience which we have now launched. We are keen to get customers feedback as we continue to iterate and improve results for users.

We appreciate your comments on this matter, and they have been noted in the system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I'm dissatisfied with the customer service options

GothamSenator
New member | Level 2

Thanks a lot, Jay. I appreciate your quick response. Unfortunatley we live in an on demand world (as we should given our technological capabilities). You guys can do infinitely better (you personally are doing great btw! It's not you, it's your company...)

This isn't how computer backup should work

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9

I really don't get the Dropbox Backup Program.

Windows allows Onedrive subscribers, which all Windows users are to varying degrees, to set Onedrive as the default save to location for documents photos, etc. That is NOT the same thing as a backup because the files are actually saved online there is NOT duplicate files created, (one on desktop and one on the cloud). A backup is also not a necessarily a sync. A backup is when a mirror copy if a file or folder is copied to another location and is archived and each subsequent backup of the same file or folder is a new snap shot of that file or folder at that specific point of time. If the backup is deleted it is NOT propagated back to original file or folder.

Additionally, why would anyone want to sync files or folders to Dropbox and if deleted from Dropbox have them deleted from their computer as well? I could understand having the option to propagate the deletion back to the computer but NOT make it an automatic propagation.

Re: Dropbox Backup

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello @George J.1, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community, and for taking the time to share your feedback on our computer backup feature. 

I just wanted to mention that if you have any trouble with the feature or you have any other questions for us, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?