cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online installer error LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

Online installer error LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

I'm using public computers in the library that have some special hardware to restore the hard disk image upon reboot. Hence I need to install dropbox thru the online 

installer almost everyday when I use these computers

The online installer started to fail with "The Installer encountered error 2" message on 15 May 2017.  The progress bar showed that the download of the dropbox installation program was completed successfully. 

I then look at my AppData directory and found this file "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Dropbox\Dropbox.exe.log" whose content is this

dropbox: loading python
dropbox: initializing interpreter
dropbox: setting program path 'C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.4.23\Dropbox.exe'
dropbox: setting home path 'C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.4.23'
dropbox: setting python path 'C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.4.23;C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.4.23\python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running entry point
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running script
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\__init__.pyc", line 9, in <module>
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 339, in <module>
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 44, in report_exception
File "<_freeze_overrides>", line 95, in find_module
File "<_freeze_overrides>", line 75, in _get_path
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 306, in wrapped
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 275, in decode_with_check
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 275, in <genexpr>
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 280, in decode_with_check
LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

Seems to me that the problem is related to the last line:

"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Online installer error LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

Some more update. The v26.4. 24 offline installer works. Two previous versions I tested doesn't work.

Question:

If I use the online installer (DropboxInstaller.exe), does it just download the latest version available from the server? I don't understand how versioning works in the online installer as I can't find anything in the DropboxInstaller.exe to display the version.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Re: Online installer error LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

ernstMreicher58
Super User

Hi @usbLyl l.

just a thought:

as you have to reinstall DB again and again it has to sync/download your whole DB again and again (except you exclude - selective sync - folders on installation).

Couldn´t it make more sense to work with the web-UI in the browser only?

Falls Ihnen meine Antwort gefallen oder geholfen hat, können Sie mir ein "Kudo" geben oder "Als Lösung akzeptieren" anklicken.
If you like my answer or find it helpful you could give me a "Kudo" or click at "Accept as Solution"

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

web-ui is tedious and time consuming since I need to manage a deep hierarchy of small files. The installer automatically deal with the directory structure.  The re-sync does exactly what I want to automatically recreate the directory structure and since small (but numerous) file sizes are involved it works very well

Ross_S
Dropboxer
Hi all,

Yes:

is the specific error, we noticed this in our latest version and we are correcting it. You should be able to download and install v25 from the stable builds page (via "Beta testers" at the top). The issue should only be in v26, we're correcting that, but in the mean time that should resolve the issue for you. The application shouldn't auto-update to the affected build either, so don't worry about that, we're already taken care of that.

Many thanks for highlighting.

James H.
Dropboxer

Hi usbLyl-

Thanks for the bug report. Some users encountered an issue with an installer we posted earlier this week. The latest stable version (Dropbox 26.4.24) should fix the issue that you saw.

James

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

No luck with previous versions. I tried the offline installers for version 26.4.23 and 26.3.21. They all failed with similar error log file.  Notice the log file content below, there is a line showing the client version is indeed 26.3.21: "C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.3.21\Dropbox.exe"

dropbox: loading python
dropbox: initializing interpreter
dropbox: setting program path 'C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.3.21\Dropbox.exe'
dropbox: setting home path 'C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.3.21'
dropbox: setting python path 'C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.3.21;C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client_26.3.21\python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running entry point
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running script
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\__init__.pyc", line 9, in <module>
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 339, in <module>
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 44, in report_exception
File "<_freeze_overrides>", line 95, in find_module
File "<_freeze_overrides>", line 75, in _get_path
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 306, in wrapped
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 275, in decode_with_check
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 275, in <genexpr>
File "dropbox\overrides.pyc", line 280, in decode_with_check

BTW, if I use the online installer (DropboxInstaller.exe), does it just download the latest version available from the server? I don't understand how versioning works in the online installer as I can't find anything to display the version in it!

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

Some more update. The v26.4. 24 offline installer works. Two previous versions I tested doesn't work.

Question:

If I use the online installer (DropboxInstaller.exe), does it just download the latest version available from the server? I don't understand how versioning works in the online installer as I can't find anything in the DropboxInstaller.exe to display the version.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

usbLyl l. Helpful | Level 6
    James H. Dropboxer
    Ross_S Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?