cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only one of my two dropbox accounts showing in new desktop app

Only one of my two dropbox accounts showing in new desktop app

Shambhavi S.
Helpful | Level 7

I have a business and a personal dropbox. Both are linked and actively syncing. But the new desktop app for mac only displays my business dropbox. I tried unlinking and relinking but that didn't solve the problem. Anyone know how to fix this so I can switch between accounts in the new app?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Only one of my two dropbox accounts showing in new desktop app

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Shambhavi S. - sorry to hear that!

Can you confirm that you opted into the new desktop app on both accounts? As you probably know, this can be done through the app's preferences. 

You can also opt in to the new Dropbox desktop experience on your personal Dropbox account from the following link directly: https://www.dropbox.com/desktopapp

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Shambhavi S. - sorry to hear that!

Can you confirm that you opted into the new desktop app on both accounts? As you probably know, this can be done through the app's preferences. 

You can also opt in to the new Dropbox desktop experience on your personal Dropbox account from the following link directly: https://www.dropbox.com/desktopapp

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Shambhavi S.
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks, that did the trick!

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response to let me know this did the trick for you @Shambhavi S. -I'm glad to hear that this helped!

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions you might have or if an issue comes up in the future - we're always a post away :grin:

Have a lovely week ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jeffschmidtwi
Helpful | Level 5

This was so helpful. Thank you.  It apparently wasn't obvious that I needed to Opt In on both accounts.  But now that I have, and I used your link, because I couldn't find it in preference.  Once I followed the link and clicked on Try It, I closed the App and restarted, now both accounts appear on the app.  Thank you.

Honestly I have to play around with the APP more.  So far my experience on a Mac using a Finder window seems to be all that I need.  Is there a tutorial or video that would demonstrate why the App would be more advantageous than a Finder window with both listed?  I'm an early adopter, so I jumped on it anyway, but I'm struggling to figureo out why it's better than Finder.  Thanks.

Walter
Dropboxer

Happy to have helped @jeffschmidtwi!

On a side note, I always 'trial and error' an application until I learn the ropes around it. It never hurts to know what you should expect -or not- when working with a specific software - right (especially when beta testing)? 

In addition, while there isn't a video resource I could point you to at the moment for that specific feature and how it's best used, I'd suggest taking a look at the following page where you'll find lots of video tutorials and information to get started with Dropbox:

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Shambhavi S.
Helpful | Level 7

@jeffschmidtwi Agreed. It definitely feels like early days. Dropbox has always been slow to roll out features, but when they do, they get it right. So I'm hopeful. The one thing I've found that's useful is that I can @ comment my team about any file/file type from the new Dropbox app rather than going to the web version. I wish it integrated with Paper, though!

jeffschmidtwi
Helpful | Level 5

Walter,

Completely agree on the playing around on Beta Testing.  I love doing that. @Shambhavi S. You and I seem to be finding the same thing... The commenting to the team on any file is a handy feature.  IF, the rest of your team is as equally tech-savvy as you are.  Unfortunatly, mine is not at this moment.

I will say the new features are causing us to rethink our subsription to a program called "BaseCamp" where you set up project folders and to-do lists and keep all resources together.  My question with that will be does EVERYONE who participates in the folder have to have a DropBox account?  Certainly everyone on our team should, but we have some outside vendors and partners and it would be inappropriate for us to require them to have a DropBox account to participate in the project folder as a guest.  My guess is DropBox will allow that like they allow current sharing to non-Dropbox users.

So that's an area we are exploring.

Thanks to both of you for the chat and the help.  

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks both for your responses people - how are you today?

Now, @jeffschmidtwi  if you need them to have only view rights to the project's folder, you'd need to share a link to the folder in question. In this way, they'd only need access to the internet and a web browser to access the link that would point to the folder - no need for a Dropbox account to access those. 

If, on the other hand, you'd need them to have edit rights, then, they'd need to have a Dropbox account - not necessarily as a part of the team though. 

On a side note, as I'm not sure about your use case (specifically what the project is about etc.), I'll have to ask; have you heard about Showcase

Showcase enables you to select files from your Dropbox account, group them onto a single page, adjust the ordering and layout, and share it with others. It also allows users to curate work, add in branding, custom layouts, captions and track who views, downloads, or comments on your files. 

If that doesn't meet your needs, please elaborate on the project you're working on and how you'd like to distribute it and I might think of something that would do the trick for you Jeff :wink:

Last but not least, @Shambhavi S. I'll pass your suggestion for the new app to integrate with Paper as well to our dev team - thanks for your feedback. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jeffschmidtwi
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks @Walter.  I'll check out Showcase.

In brief we have team members in mulitple locations throughout the world.  We work on projects ranging from video production to live trade show set up and management.  Each of those projects require input and work product from mulitiple people and multiple organizations.  The reason we picked Basecamp was because it was cheap, it allowed us to set up project folders, invite only those involved in the project to the folder, then we put all of the resources needed for the project in folders nested in the project folder.  Basecamp also alerts project stakeholders when updates are made, to-do list deadlines are approaching, or any other notifications we want, includeing a chat feature.  So for $99 a month no matter how many users, it seemed to be a no brainer.

I've always been the biggest fan of DropBox and have slowly but steadily brought my collegues on board with the benefits and ease of use, and ubiquity of devices.  I'm not sure one single platform can solve all of our project management issues, but I'm certainly willing to investigage further.

Thanks again for the input.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?