cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Dropbox Folder Button

Open Dropbox Folder Button

Joe C.56
Helpful | Level 7

I love the new tabbed interface. That way notifications don't clog up my DB feed. I love being able to pause syncing on the bottom, without extra clicks. But WHY oh why did you combine Open Dropbox Folder and Launch Dropbox Website into one button? I use that shortcut ALL the time to get to by local Dropbox folders. Now I might as well just go straight through Finder. 😕

Can you move the settings button to the bottom to make room? Or maybe make the folder button go to the local folders by default and maybe use a modifier (and or click and hold to bring up the option to go to the website). I almost NEVER go to the website. I'd rather that be buried all day in the menu. Hell put it in settings—or even remove it completely. Usually when I go to the website it's from the local folders to restore a file and I use the context menu. It's a nice feature I guess, but for the 2 times a year I need to go to the site, I can type in dropbox.com into my address bar in my browser.

I CONSTANTLY use the Open Dropbox Folder button. It's the fastest way to get to my most used files. Please make it two clicks again instead of three. It seems like such a stupid request, but saving that click saves me time. I click it enough that it matters to me.

15 Replies 15

Re: Open Dropbox Folder Button

Joe C.56
Helpful | Level 7

I don't know if any devs saw this, but thank you for splitting the buttons back!

BillieGote
Explorer | Level 4

Please put the "Open Folder" button back on the bottom! This is not a frivolous request. It is a matter of ergonomic efficiency, and thus repetitive injury prevention. My Dropbox icon is in the system tray. I used to click on that icon, and right above it the Open Dropbox Folder icon appeared and I could click on it without hardly moving the mouse: 2 clicks total, and the folder opens. With this new interface, I click on the Dropbox icon and the window opens with the "Up to date" notification where my Open Folder used to be. I never want to "Pause Syncing" so why would you put that option in the most accessible location?  Now I have to move the mouse cursor 4" up and to the right to open the folder. Then, to add insult to injury you make me click AGAIN to choose between opening the folder and launching the website. As the OP said, I might access the website 2 or 3 times a year as opposed to opening the folder multiple times per day.

Please swap the locations of the buttons that appear on the top and the bottom of the access window.

Joe C.56
Helpful | Level 7

Only make that change for the windows version! We're already at the top of the window on Mac OS! 🙂

Strange that they didn't separate the buttons back in the Windows version. I'm kind of surprised they actually had each version flip-flopped. It makes sense though. MacOS folder buttons should be on the top, and Windows folder buttons should be on the bottom.

tiffmartin_1805
New member | Level 2

I agree that the extra click is very frustrating when you're clicking all day anyway. Please take the extra click away! If we wanted to go to the website, it is easy enough to type dropbox.com in a web browser.

Joe C.56
Helpful | Level 7

This might be coming in a roll out change. I don't know if there's a parity in versions or not, but v19.4.13 on MacOS has the buttons split again. So hopefully it gets to you guys soon too!

Rich
Super User II

Every version of Dropbox that I've ever used on Windows (including the latest Beta) has the buttons split. On this latest beta, they've been moved to the top of the window, but they're still split.

Screenshot 2017-02-14 15.32.00.png

Joe C.56
Helpful | Level 7

Hmm, I wonder what issue the others are having then?

BillieGote
Explorer | Level 4

Here is what mine looks like:

Photo of display showing Dropbox window with file icon in upper right corner

Okay, this doesn't look like the photo is going to make it through. I sent an email back with the photo, responding to the email notification for this last message. If someone can coach me on how to easily attach a screenshot or a photo I will be happy to share. Mine does not look like the screenshot provided above.

Rich
Super User II

Put the photo in your Dropbox and create a share link to it. Post the link here.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BillieGote Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?