cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Files with Excel

Open Files with Excel

Mudd
Explorer | Level 3

When using DropBox I am typically able to open excel spreadsheets through the desktop application; however, there are instances where this option is not available.  I can usually refresh the page several times and then the option appears again.  

Additionally, I have a colleague who is completely unable to open up excel spreadsheets through the desktop application.  

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Re: Open Files with Excel

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Mudd; welcome to our Community!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you please send us a screenshot of how this looks like on your end?

Regarding your colleague's issue, can you elaborate a tad? For example, are they getting any specific errors or are they not seeing the files at all?

Keep us posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mudd
Explorer | Level 3

@Walter 

Thanks for the response!  Attached, please find a screenshot.Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.21.57 PM.png

So, on my computer sometimes the option to "Open in Microsoft Excel" is available and other times it is not.  The times when it is unavailable I am able to refresh my browser page and upon reloading the "Open in Microsoft Excel" pops up.

My colleague is having a similar issue, but the option to "Open in Microsoft Excel" is much less available and his options are usually limited to "Excel for the Web" and "Google Sheet".

Thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer
Are you both running the most recent version of our desktop app @Mudd?

Can you confirm that it's showing 'Up to date' on both your computer's system tray/menu bar and your colleague's as well?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mudd
Explorer | Level 3

@Walter

I can confirm both systems are "Up To Date".  

Thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for clearing this up for me @Mudd.

Can you please have a look at this Help Center article and let me know if any of the information there helps?

While we're at it, can you confirm that your browser(s) are updated with the most recent versions?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Mudd Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?