cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open a file with non-standard extension

Open a file with non-standard extension

Explorer | Level 4

I am storing files in my Dropbox with non-standard extensions. They have by default no app associated with them. They are, however, text files and I want them to open with the standard text editor. When I try to do Open With it offers me some other app with no choice of using text editor. Is there a way how to change it and use the text editor?

12 Replies 12

Re: Open a file with non-standard extension

Super Collaborator | Level 20

It's a good proposal/idea, @Tomas T.. :winking face:

In addition, would be fine file type be distinguished with wider options set, not only limited to the file extension. What about magic numbers, for example?! Especially for text file, in many cases first line could be used as a note for the file type (some standards describe this). Just have to be implemented. :thumbs up: If can't be recognized exact text file type (either using extension or the first line), view can fall back to flat text type (better something than nothing).

Super User II

@Tomas T. wrote:
When I try to do Open With it offers me some other app with no choice of using text editor. Is there a way how to change it and use the text editor?

This would be up to your operating system and nothing to do with Dropbox. Typically there's an option for More Apps and clicking that gives you the option to look for another app on your PC, which would allow you to select any application you want.

@Rich wrote:

This would be up to your operating system and nothing to do with Dropbox. ...

изображение.png

:thinking face: Hmm... I have no idea what's that OS on the screenshot above. @Rich, Can you guide how could this be figured out? :grinning squinting face: The file is a text file in fact. 🧐 Is it the same when the extension is ".txt"?!

Super User II

@Здравко wrote:

:thinking face: Hmm... I have no idea what's that OS on the screenshot above. @Rich, Can you guide how could this be figured out? :grinning squinting face: The file is a text file in fact. 🧐 Is it the same when the extension is ".txt"?!

The OP was clearly referring to opening a file on his computer, and not the Dropbox website. The Open With option he mentions is a Windows function, which is what my reply is referencing.

41ecd0e560bb316a5cc61a652fc3720d.png

Ok, I agree, but where did you decide from:

@Rich wrote:
... The Open With option he mentions is a Windows function, which is what my reply is referencing. ...

That's not only Windows specific! Actually everyone OS gives such option. The OS used isn't pointed in OP!

In addition to your description, if no suitable application brings up in the initiall applications list, usually there is a choice like "Select other..." or "More...", or similar, where all installed applications get accessible, not only explicitely associated with the particular MIME type initially.

Super User II

@Здравко wrote:

That's not only Windows specific! Actually everyone OS gives such option. The OS used isn't pointed in OP!

I'm aware of that. Just call it a hunch.

In addition to your description, if no suitable application brings up in the initiall applications list, usually there is a choice like "Select other..." or "More...", or similar, where all installed applications get accessible, not only explicitely associated with the particular MIME type initially.

Which is what I stated previously.

Typically there's an option for More Apps and clicking that gives you the option to look for another app on your PC, which would allow you to select any application you want.

Explorer | Level 4

I forgot to mention I am using the Android Dropbox app. 

It does not offer me any More apps. It only offers one app that has nothing to do with the file, probably it gets confused by the extension. How can I do it on Android to open such file in a text editor?

Hi @Tomas T.,

It's always better to describe as much as possible what exactly is your question. Otherwise everybody could make interpretations. In the particular case both interpretations seem wrong.

Yes, you are right. That is a real problem, I have signaled about long time ago (many other users too). The issue comes from the fact that on Android environment possible options would be restricted from the content type declaration, provided by the sending application (Dropbox in particular case) and inbound filters declared by every one installed application, candidate to open some content. Listed applications are only those which have matching filters with the content type declaration. When the content type declaration is performed in a restrictive way, possible choices get restricted too. The issue could be resolved in 2 directions. Better file types recognitions is the first. "Relaxing" the type declaration, which gonna let wider choices, is the second. Unfortunately, Dropbox development team doesn't care about this. :slightly frowning face:

Hope this clarifies the matter, at least.

Dropboxer

Hi @Tomas T., it depends on the extension. If it is a standard extension, then there would be an app that could open it. If it's a just a filename (i.e. README, like on Linux devices), then no app would automatically associate a file with no extension to an app.

what you could do instead is to export the file to your Android device, and then open the saved file in the app you want to preview it in. What is the exact extension of the file?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?