cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Open dropbox documents in office desktop app

Open dropbox documents in office desktop app

mangeshkunkule
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Team,

Can I open dropbox file in office desktop app from online word page. It is working in sharepoint.

Please check below screen of sharpoint.

Capture.PNG

Please adivse.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

I guess, you can open the office files in your desktop app from Dropbox web using Open menu provided you have Dropbox app installed and the file is synced to your local computer otherwise you can edit using office online only - https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/open-button

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mangeshkunkule, thanks for posting on the Community!

When you are viewing docx files via Dropbox, do you get that same option as you see when viewing it via Sharepoint?

If not, when previewing the file on the Dropbox site, try clicking the Open button at the top near the Share button, and then click Microsoft Word to open it on your machine.

If you’re not seeing this option, try these steps to enable the Open button.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mangeshkunkule
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Jay,

My question is after I click Microsoft Word it will open file for me but I want "Open in Desktop App" option as red circle in my attached screen.

It should open the file in Windows Office or Local dropbox application.

Why "Open in Desktop App" option not showing on dropbox site once  file open in Microsoft Word online ?

Thanks,

Mangesh K

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

I guess, you can open the office files in your desktop app from Dropbox web using Open menu provided you have Dropbox app installed and the file is synced to your local computer otherwise you can edit using office online only - https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/open-button

mangeshkunkule
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks @Elixir , It's working now.

Need more support?