cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open online fils on iOS in 3rd party apps

Open online fils on iOS in 3rd party apps

Dmitry3
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,
is there anyway to have such functionality? I found the following inquiry in your forum marked as solved but as I see it’s not the case:::
I have a Dropbox account. I can make certain folders accessible offline on my IPad.

However, once offline, I cannot work on them using the respective Excel, PowerPoint etc.. app.

I have to « copy » it onto the app and then save on my iPad. The result means that i have 2 different files and I have to manually upload the new one to Dropbox once i am online.

Can the Dropbox app work more like the files app. I.e. once a file is offline, you can open it in other app to edit (without having to export it as a new version), once closed, it will save directly as the same updated files in iCloud Drive and upload once connected to the internet.

Kind regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Open online fils on iOS in 3rd party apps

Celeste
Dropboxer

Hi @Dmitry3, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

On iOS devices, in order to be able to edit a file offline you need to have opened the most recent version of the file in the Office app before going offline.

Unfortunately editing offline files that have not been accessed online in Office previously is not supported currently. You can read more about editing offline here

Make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app, too, so that it has all of the latest updates. 

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Celeste
Dropboxer

Hi @Dmitry3, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

On iOS devices, in order to be able to edit a file offline you need to have opened the most recent version of the file in the Office app before going offline.

Unfortunately editing offline files that have not been accessed online in Office previously is not supported currently. You can read more about editing offline here

Make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app, too, so that it has all of the latest updates. 

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Celeste

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Dmitry3
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Celeste Thank you for your reply. I hope to see such functionality in later releases 

Celeste
Dropboxer

You are very welcome @Dmitry3; I am happy to have been able to help!

If you need anything else do let me know. 

In the meantime, have a great rest of your week ahead!

Celeste

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?