cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Opening DropBox Folder in Finder via Menubar Icon

Highlighted

Opening DropBox Folder in Finder via Menubar Icon

Helpful | Level 6

In Mac Desktop....

I used to be able to open my DB folder in Finder via an option under the DB menubar icon. That option seems to have disappeared. Am I doing something dumb? Or is there a way to configure back the behavior?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Ok. The new version toggled my "Open folders in" option in Preferences - > General to "Dropbox" rather than "Finder".

I really appreciate that. There's nothing more pleasant for user experience than to have an upgrade mess with your prefs without notice.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @Spillage, I’ll do my best to have a closer look into that with you & help you work towards a fix! 

#1. Starting off with the basics, can you confirm whether you can see the Dropbox icon on your menu bar at all? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing status & the Dropbox version you’re working on. 
#2. Can you confirm that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (79.4.143) for me & grab me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of any error/diagnostic messages you may be seeing (i.e. if any)? Once you do, please include it in your next post here if possible. 

Once I have these details, I’ll focus on the matter at hand a bit closer. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting to gather this info for me & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Menubar icon exists and works fine. 

Version is 79.4.143

No error message of any kind.

To clarify: when I click the folder icon (in the menubar choices), the DropBox app launches, rather than the Finder folder.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Ok. The new version toggled my "Open folders in" option in Preferences - > General to "Dropbox" rather than "Finder".

I really appreciate that. There's nothing more pleasant for user experience than to have an upgrade mess with your prefs without notice.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

While it's great that you've now managed to resolve your concern @Spillage, I understand that having your settings reset hasn't been ideal. 

While this has been discussed (& resolved) here previously, that's just a brief note from me that I'm always here if you need further assistance in any way. Take care until we talk again! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

My "Open folders in" (on Windows) is stuck in DropBox mode even though I have selected Explorer.

What can I do to make it obey the setting?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hmm @MikeWill34, 🤔 that's interesting... Is it the only menu that’s not responding as you’re re-adjusting your Preferences/settings? Would you mind unlinking & relinking your account on the device causing you trouble once, since it recreates the local database

I'd also appreciate it if you also let me know of the Dropbox version you're currently working on, as it appears on your system tray in your next message. Thanks in advance! 

Jane

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I have just unlinked and relinked my dropbox and it's still the same, what can I do to get explorer view back...

2019-10-17 21_40_23-Dropbox.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @MikeWill34, thanks for taking the time to try my suggestion!

I can see that you’ve also previously enquired about that here, so I’m wondering if that’s a recurring issue; please let me know in your next message if possible.

On the screenshot I can see that you're working on a previous version of the desktop app, so if you've re-installed following my recommendation above, then let me quickly clarify that this was the most Up-to-Date client version at the time the thread was created. 

I'd appreciate it if you re-installed once again following the relevant link on the Community--> (Stable Build 83.4.152), as there has been a new version since then. 

Would you mind giving my suggestions a go whenever you have a minute & let me know of the outcome here? Thanks again for keeping in touch! 

Jane

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
The issue has always been present on one computer.
This one is running Windows 10 Professional 1903
Would the automatic updates pick up the above?
If not should I manauly uninstall, then re install?
If so after install and before install what registry or file locations should I clear?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?