cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Dropbox.com from tray icon crashes Google Chrome

Opening Dropbox.com from tray icon crashes Google Chrome

ChronosCrunch
Explorer | Level 3

We have been seeing a problem on all our Windows 7 computers whereby if you click on the tray icon and open Dropbox.com using the little world icon Google Chrome crashes immediately (this is default browser in our network for a variety of reasons). If Google Chrome is already open then this function works fine.

It seems to impact every release of the client since the 35.4.20 release but only on Windows 7. Unable to replicate the problem on Windows 10. However we can replicate it easily on many Windows 7 computers on and off our network, with and without our core applications.

Is anyone seeing this same behaviour?

6 Replies 6

Re: Opening Dropbox.com from tray icon crashes Google Chrome

sbcallah
Explorer | Level 3
Bump,

I'm seeing the same thing for the first time today. Navigating to the Dropbox website from an already open Chrome browser session is fine. If the globe is selected from the tray, Chrome loads and crashes all plugins. The Dropbox website stays pointed to it's local install on the C drive and never redirects to the actual url. It's also interesting that once this dead browser loads, no other website can load within it.

I tested this with an uninstall and clean install of Chrome with a computer restart and had the same issue. I can't recreate this with any other program that launches Chrome. However, this is not an issue when another browser is set to default.

vitalmem
New member | Level 2

Yes, same situation with me on Win7. Need to restart Windows to have Chrome work again. Can get to DropBox on the web via a direct link to www.dropbox.com/home, but can not open using the system tray without crashing Chrome.

sanch
New member | Level 2

Yes, same problem, started a few days ago on Windows 7.  Happens every time I try to launch the dropbox website from the tray icon as well as when right clicking on a file and using the dropbox options in the context menu. ie. "View on dropbox.com" and "Version history".

ChronosCrunch
Explorer | Level 3

Glad it is not just us. Although I have had a support ticket in with Dropbox for over two weeks now with nothing useful coming back so far. I love Dropbox but product support is very poor.

nikhilm
Dropboxer

Thank you for raising this issue. We have a change in v38 (the next release) which should fix this specific issue where the Chrome window goes gray and does not load the dropbox website.

vitalmem
New member | Level 2
Update after submitting this bug to DropBox tech support, their response:

Thank you for raising this issue. We have a change in v38 (the next release) which should fix this specific issue where the Chrome window goes gray and does not load the dropbox website.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

vitalmem New member | Level 2
    nikhilm Dropboxer
    ChronosCrunch Explorer | Level 3
    sanch New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?