Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Opening Microsoft Word documents from the dropbox desktop app folder freezes word and file folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a new PC with windows 10.  When I open word documents from the dropbox desktop app folder the folder freezes and the file does not open.  The files open fine on my other computers, when I use the browser and other people using the same files on a shared basis. I have completely reinstalled microsoft office and dropbox.  I also deleted all the files which i had save on my computer.  Still having the same issue.  Any help appreciated.  Thank you

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Opening Microsoft Word documents from the dropbox desktop app folder freezes word and file folde

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

BTW - I have office pro 2013

Highlighted

Re: Opening Microsoft Word documents from the dropbox desktop app folder freezes word and file folde

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@drewrands), I’m wondering if you’ve noticed the same behavior when Dropbox is completely closed. If so, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application & you may want to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this. To check whether this applies, please have a look at the steps outlined here: 

Spoiler
  • Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) 
  • Click on the  icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
From there, I’m suspecting the Dropbox Badge as a potential culprit. Would you mind disabling it temporarily & see if this amends the behavior? If you'd like to disable the Dropbox badge, you can do so by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, ▶️ then the  icon, then Preferences. You'll then have the option to choose when you'd like to see the Dropbox badge: "Always show", "If others present" and "Never show." Please select "Never Show" from the drop down menu. That will prevent Dropbox from showing the badge on your Office documents.

Please let me know of you get on with these steps or in case you need assistance in any way & I’ll make sure to check back with you asap. I hope you have a wonderful day/ rest of your day ahead until we talk again!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Jane,

Thank you for your response and help.  I just reinstalled office and dropbox at the same time.  Still having the same issue.  Then I disabled the dropbox badge (previously tried a couple times) and still does not work.  Word files are still opening from other folders. When I quit dropbox the word files open up immediately from the dropbox folder.

I forgot to mention previously that when I originally setup the computer/microsoft Office/Dropbox I did not have this problem for a few months.  Then something happened, which I cannot recall exactly what, something like a save error or something like that and then I started having this problem.  Not sure if that helps.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate it that you took the time to try my suggestions & thanks for looping back to me to let me know of the progress @drewrands. Let me have a closer look at your setup based on the info we have on file on our tools. In order to further assist you on the matter, I’ve made sure to reach out to you on my end via email (gathering all the details you've included on this conversation), so as to investigate this discrepancy in a bit more depth.

Whenever you find some spare time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. I hope that this is- even slightly- helpful to you & I’ll be awaiting your next reply on our email correspondence!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I am also having this issue so if you have a solution can you please share.  I am using dropbox on Window 10 home edition.  Whenever I open a word document from the dropbox folder my explorer window freezes and the file never opens.  I am forced to kill the explorer app.  When I disable dropbox I can open the files without any issues.

My system tray is telling me that dropbox is up to date.

Please help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for taking the time to try my suggestions & pinging me back here on the results @begrudger! Following your post here, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email connected to your Community profile, so as to continue this discussion there. 

You may have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience if you’d like us to work on that with me. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?