cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a Filemaker file from mobile device

Opening a Filemaker file from mobile device

marcofioreItaly
Explorer | Level 3

Hello.

I have a Filemaker file in Dropbox folder that I can open from desktop computer. However using mobile version like Filemaker Go 16 or 17 from iPad or iPhone I cannot. I can see the file opening Dropbox mobile, but I cannott access from FM Go.

Any solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Opening a Filemaker file from mobile device

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey again, @marcofioreItaly

Currently, I'm afraid there isn't an option to access the file directly from the mobile app, as it's not a supported file type. You can find more info about viewable file types on the mobile app here

To access the file and edit it with the third-party app, I'd recommend downloading it locally and opening it, as you mention is what worked for you. In the meantime, I'd be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration. 

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there, @marcofioreItaly

Could you please provide a bit more info on this? Are you running the latest version of the mobile app and the third party app in question? What are the steps you are taking to do this? 

Also, are you getting any errors? If you do, a screenshot of it or screenshot illustrating the behavior you’re experiencing (excluding any personal info) would be very helpful so as to have a better understanding of what you’re seeing. 

Thanks in advance!   

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

marcofioreItaly
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

both iPad and iPhone have the last iOs. I tried with both Filemaker Go 16 and 17.

The screenshot from iPhone when I access the file using Dropbox app is showed in attachment. No error messages, simply I cannot open the file. I can download the file, but nothing else.IMG_0368ADF89CE2-1.jpeg

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot, @marcofioreItaly, definitely provides a better understanding of your concern. 

I can see that the file type in question is unsupported and cannot be previewed through the mobile app. You can find more info here

However, if you have a third-party app that supports this file, have you tried exporting/saving it locally and opening it with the app(s) in question, or directly opening it from there, instead? Maybe that might do the trick.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

marcofioreItaly
Explorer | Level 3

thank you,

yes I can download locally and open it, but it is not the right choice. The file is a database which is continuosly updated.

However in the past I was able to open it in remote using mobile app, as I do using a desktop. I didn't tried for several months and now suddendly I can't.

That's why I ask.

By the way I tried to ask Dropbox staff if there is something to do.

Thank you again!

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey again, @marcofioreItaly

Currently, I'm afraid there isn't an option to access the file directly from the mobile app, as it's not a supported file type. You can find more info about viewable file types on the mobile app here

To access the file and edit it with the third-party app, I'd recommend downloading it locally and opening it, as you mention is what worked for you. In the meantime, I'd be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration. 

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

BJ1701
New member | Level 2

On my iphone, I get a screen just like that, except your screen shot shows 3 dots where mine shows a square with an up arrow coming up from the cneter of the square.  When I click on this icon, it pulls up a list that shows a variety of apps that I can choose from to open the app.  I choose my filemaker pro app from that list and it opens.  Unfortunately, I do not think it changes the file in dropbox, so you have to resend the database back to dropbox to save changes in the dropbox file.  Just wondering if you have that option under the three dots in the upper right hand corner of your screenshot.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BJ1701 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    marcofioreItaly Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?