cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening docx files in Google Docs from Dropbox App

Opening docx files in Google Docs from Dropbox App

kevinob11
Explorer | Level 3

In dropbox web I can open a .docx or .pptx file in Google Docs or Google Slides, on the Dropbox App my only options are local programs (ppt or keynote). Is there a way to add an option to open Office documents in Drive from the Dropbox desktop app?

6 Replies 6

Re: Opening docx files in Google Docs from Dropbox App

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @kevinob11, I hope you're well today!

You would need to have the appropriate app installed on your computer to have the option to open it locally.

As far as I know, the G-Suite apps are only available as desktop apps on devices with Chrome OS.

Just to clarify, are you looking for a way to open the file locally in the way mentioned above, or would you like to be able to open it with the Online integration directly from the desktop?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kevinob11
Explorer | Level 3

I'd like to be able to open it with the online integration directly from my desktop Dropbox App. I believe the connection to Google is just initiated by opening a URL in your browser, so it would be great if there was an option to open that URL from the desktop app.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying @kevinob11!

In that case, from your file browser you can right click the file and choose "View on dropbox.com" to easily open the file online.

It will open the web browser and show the file selected, so that you can easily choose to open the file in the app that you want to use. 

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Justin Bieganek
Explorer | Level 3

Yeah, I was aware of that already, but the process is very confusing to my colleagues and clients. I get that it appears its a feature request, but I'd sure prefer if you could just open the file in GDrive directly from Dropbox App rather than having to open it online then open it in GDrive

kevinob11
Explorer | Level 3

The post from Justin was me, I was logged in under a client account.

Walter
Dropboxer

If you'd like, you could post your idea in the relevant section of our Community so other users can upvote it to show their interest in this @kevinob11

Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with and happy Friday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?