cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening the dropbox app, not the website via Slack

Opening the dropbox app, not the website via Slack

Alex Prantl
New member | Level 2

Dear fellow dropboxers,

At work, we use Slack as our main communication tool and we have integrated dropbox there.

We use several different documents that we all want to work at. That's why we save them in dropbox and create links in our Slack channels.

So far, so good. The problem is that everytime i try to open a dropbox document via Slack, it opens my browser and there the document. However, for various reasons, I want it to open my dropbox desktop app and from there a normal Microsoft Word document.

I already contacted the Slack support and they told me that Slack had no such function but dropbox has. I also know that it has to work somehow as one of my coworkers, who uses a Macbook, does exactly what i want. Sadly, we couldn't find the difference when checking our settings.

Maybe one of you can help me,

Thanks in advance, 

Alex

3 Replies 3

Re: Opening the dropbox app, not the website via Slack

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @Alex Prantl, thanks for reaching out!

When you click a shared link, it's expected that this will open the file in your web browser.

However, you should have an option from there to open the file directly on your computer, through the "Open" button.

You can check out more on this here.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alex Prantl
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your answer.

Sadly, it does not help. Although I see the open button and meet all the criteria from the linked post, the website open button only shows 4 dropdown options: 1. Open in Word 2016 2. Show in File Explorer 3. Word for the web 4. Google Docs

This means, I can't even open the dropbox app via the website version.

Is there maybe something in the settings that I didn't see? Thank you in advance

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Alex Prantl, could you forward separate screenshots showing what you see on the site, and what your colleague sees in order to understand this in more detail? Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?