cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Os X 10.13 High Sierra & Smart Sync

Os X 10.13 High Sierra & Smart Sync

duanstokes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

There's a lot of posts about possible issues with OS X High Sierra and Smart Sync. 

We use dropbox a lot and have only recently enabled Smart Sync for all users in the team. Can someone from Dropbox confirm what the status of Smart Sync with 10.13 is, we can't upgrade our system software unless Dropbox will work... 

Cheers

Duan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Brian B.39
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Apple recommended something I should have thought of... Safe mode.

I first disabled Gatekeeper using the following command in terminal (unclear if this would be required):

sudo spctl --master-disable

I then rebooted the Mac into safe mode and opened the Security panel in System Preferences and clicked the Allow button.

The Blocked message cleared from the Security Panel and Smart Sync was active and operating normally when I rebooted.

Issue seems resolved.

View solution in original post

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @monaronyc and others,

The issue reported with the preferences not loading the right screen / not being able to enable Smart Sync is an issue we're actively investigating right now.

I hope to be in touch with an update shortly.

Many thanks for highlighting.

View solution in original post

69 Replies 69

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @duanstokes, welcome to our community! 

Good call on inquiring about this before hand :wink: 

All our team’s in-house testing indicates that Smart Sync will cooperate fully with High Sierra, and we do not anticipate any issues. 
When you first run OS 10.13, you may be prompted to allow access to the Dropbox system extension, as detailed here, but other than that, it should all be good! 

If I were in your shoes, I would update one Mac to the new operating system first, just in case. I generally do this on my personal systems anytime there’s an update or new application that I want to use. I have found that it’s not just a matter of the OS playing nice with an app, as sometimes other apps or system components can interfere. 

I hope this all works out for you! Let me know how you decide to proceed, and how it goes.

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

VaughanS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I have two computers connected via DropBox. If I update one to High Sierra and the file format gets updated, won't this create problems with compatibility with the other computer which still uses the older file format?

kaups
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just updated, "Online only" selection does not work. Tried restart, tried uninstalling, installing - nothing. And it does not promt anything 😞

J0ll0
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same here. Clean install of the OS and Dropbox. Smart sync does not work. Everything on our Dropbox begins downloading until the Mac runs out of disk space, and Dropbox pauses.

CCAAG
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issues. Frustrating, honestly.

--
Dropbox Plus

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @CCAAG, can you tell me a little more about the specific issue you’re experiencing? 
Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Brian B.39
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Smart sync and Mac OSX 10.13.1

Smart Sync cannot be enabled. 

I have: 
unlinked dropbox, 
trashed the app, 
removed the Dropbox folder (trash) 
emptied the trash 
Restarted the Mac 
(the notification with the allow button is still in Security & preferences)

Reinstalled Dropbox 
entered the user's correct email and password [email address removed by Jane for security reasons]
entered the pin sent to his phone 
was prompted to open security & preferences (already open and unlocked) 
Clicked allow and the message did not go away. 
I am stuck 
Dropbox is replicating but the message will not go away 

1. There are no connection issues. 
1.a. There is no Firewall issue 
1.b. There is no antivirusIf 
1.c. There is no Security program 
1.d. There is no Proxy 
1.e. There is no VPN 
We installed a fresh copy of High Sierra on this machine (Erased drives and installed the OS) 
We then updated the machine via the App store updates 
We then installed Dropbox. 
Please see the attached images for the version of OS installed. 
We have had Dropbox installed on every other computer in the office and had no issue. 
We had rebuilt three other machines in the office since the High Sierra release and had no issue. 
Now we have an issue.

HAVE DISABELD GATEKEEPER ON MACOSX TO ALLOW INSTALL FROM ANYWHERE AND IT STILL WILL NOT ALLOW THE DROPBOX APP TO ENABLE SMART SYNC. SEE SCREENSHOT

IS THIS PART OF THE ISSUE? 
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79172

(Sorry for the shouty all caps above, this is all pasted in from my trouble ticket with dropbox) 

Brian B.39
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Cannot enable Smart SyncCannot enable Smart SyncThis is after disabling GatekeeperThis is after disabling Gatekeeper

Brian B.39
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Dropbox is synced but Smart Sync is not enabled.Dropbox is synced but Smart Sync is not enabled.

Last post on this until help desk comes up with a solution.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    monaronyc Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?