cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Os X 10.13 High Sierra & Smart Sync

Os X 10.13 High Sierra & Smart Sync

duanstokes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

There's a lot of posts about possible issues with OS X High Sierra and Smart Sync. 

We use dropbox a lot and have only recently enabled Smart Sync for all users in the team. Can someone from Dropbox confirm what the status of Smart Sync with 10.13 is, we can't upgrade our system software unless Dropbox will work... 

Cheers

Duan

69 Replies 69

John W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We were unable to get this to work, even with the newest beta on 10.13.2

We used the safe mode trick to get them to show up correctly in the Prefs window.  This is a workaround, and therefore not an acceptable long term solution.

Hope they will fix this for the future.

thistommy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey y'all - I'm a Dropbox for Business user that was experiencing this same issue today (I originally popped by this thread to see if the answer was in here before reaching out to Dropbox Support)

This solution from support worked to resolve this issue for my team members and I .... Full message below:

Hi,

I’ve taken a look at your account, and there appear to be some issues with the Dropbox software currently installed on your computer. To ensure that the software is working correctly, I’d like you to do a complete reinstall to try to fix the problem. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied as well as the location of your Dropbox folder (if not in the default location) prior to re-installing, as you will need to match these settings upon re-install.

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):

• Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

1. Download the newest version:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "/Users/yourusername/DropboxFolderName (including spaces)"

sudo chmod -R u+rw "/Users/yourusername/DropboxFolderName (including spaces)"

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

1. Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.

2. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

3. When Dropbox has finished installing, during the initial setup and sign in process, apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content, you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder which will start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Please note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder, the web interface or other linked devices while the folder was "off-line", will generate conflicted copies:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/conflicted-copy

Finally, this process only works when linking to the exact same account that was previously linked to this computer. If you'd like to merge accounts, please refer to the following Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/account/merge-two-accounts

christiaan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks. And yes, disabling Gatekeeper was required for me.

monaronyc
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Guys, sorry even with this still happening. What else you got? High Sierra 10.13.2. Dropbox client 41.4.80. Please Advise.

monaronyc
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And a quick screenshot here of what's going on. When we enter the users email and hit connect, we get the prompt to open System Preferences to enable Smart Sync. But when we do, we see nothing to enable. High Sierra 10.13.2. Dropbox client 41.4.80. Please Advise:

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.26.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.27.28 AM.png

Brian B.39
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

In the past I have experienced an issue where attempting to use the existing downloaded file structure resulted in uploading whole duplicate branches of my Team Share because the selected folders in Selective Sync were not exact same list of folders as it was before the uninstall and reinstall of the client.

Be cautious of this. 

If you replicate your full directory structure each time, ignore my cautionary tale.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @monaronyc and others,

The issue reported with the preferences not loading the right screen / not being able to enable Smart Sync is an issue we're actively investigating right now.

I hope to be in touch with an update shortly.

Many thanks for highlighting.

ibizwu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It has been 3 weeks and no solution? 

parker1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am experiencing the same issues with high sierra and smart sync. In fact, syncing in general is extremely slow and inefficient. We are paying over £60 per month for Dropbox as a team and finding the level of support totally unhelpful. We reported issues in Dec 2017 and we are still waiting for a solution...

benniii
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

same persistent problem here... 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    monaronyc Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?