cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook attachment (from recent files) from dropbox folder fails (not visible)

Outlook attachment (from recent files) from dropbox folder fails (not visible)

Toomas V.
New member | Level 1

Hi,

Have been on this issue with Microsoft for weeks not and their feedback is that the issue is related to Dropbox app.

Using Outlook 2016 and there is feature to quickly attach recently opened items. There is issue with files in Dropbox folder where as i can see the file under recent items, can attach it but if i send out file the attachment isn't actually there (for strange reason i can see the "attachment" logo on e-mail but there is no attachment and mail size also confirms that)

The issue is with recent items shown when pressing "attach file" icon on outlook. If i navigate to folder and take file from there it works.

So MS suggests its plugin fault as they did investigation from every aspect.

I´ve also tried to:

• Reinstall Office
  • Reinstalled Windows
  • Used different PC-s
25 Replies 25

Re: Outlook attachment (from recent files) from dropbox folder fails (not visible)

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

If you point to the actual file (on your computer inside your dropbox folder) and Right click, is there an option to "send with outlook" ?

Re: Outlook attachment (from recent files) from dropbox folder fails (not visible)

Toomas V.
New member | Level 1

"Send to - Mail recipient" is there, "send with Outlook" - haven't seen such option at all...but tats irrelevant i guess.

The problem is not getting file attached from Dropbox but the problem is using Outlook feature where is possible to quick select recently opened items when pressing Attach file button.I can see the file, all is good, can even attach it but if e-mail goes out there is no attachment with the mail. MS says that its Dropbox integration issue.

Its very comfy feature as no need to navigate thru many folders and sub folders to get the file.

Toomas V.
New member | Level 1

ps. is there any tech. support to call or how can we put Microsoft and Dropox in contact so they can discuss issue. It is annoying to stay in between and waste my time and money on fixing someones product-service issues.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Pls ignore this: I think what you are doing is attaching the MRU shortcut (not the actual file). If I had that problem I would get the dropbox link and just paste that into the email. It makes the email smaller and is guaranteed to work.

Mark
Super User II

If you are a Dropbox Business customer yes, there is support (although it would be after the holidays now) and you can get the number from your Admin. 

If not, no you need to log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Toomas V.
New member | Level 1

@Rick M - Well i can go and select the file i want to attach from the folder. The whole point of using shortcut from selecting recently opened items is to save clicks - i can just 1-click to get it sent.Finding file can take 10+ clicks and sending link will take even more effort.

Solution you offer is not really solution as going to the folder and then copy/paste link will take even more effort than selecting file from folder (like "why to drive car if there are still horses). Also many of my customers cannot open any links in the e-mails or these e-mails will be not delivered (due strict security rules)

thank you anyway but still will need to make this work. If there is function and i pay for it then it must work not that i find workarounds.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 5

The recently used links are to your PRIVATE cloud, they will not work when sent to other people as they dont have access to your private cloud. You must get a DB public link to the file for public links to work

Toomas V.
New member | Level 1

@Dave C. - please read again about the issue i have. I dont mention anything about sharing links or anything even close to that. I have issue with attaching actual file in Outlook 2016 desktop version. you havecompletely wrong understanding of the problem.

Trinity C.
New member | Level 1

FWIW, I believe Dave C. is correct that you are inadvertently sending private links (shortcuts/symlinks...) instead of dropbox's URLs.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ed Dropboxer
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Paul H.61 New member | Level 1
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?