Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overloading storage on phone app

Explorer | Level 4

Right now, I am using the free Dropbox option but I am considering upgrading to Dropbox Plus. As it is, the volume of data stored in my Dropbox populates storage space (via the Dropbox app) on my phone. My concern is that if I upgrade to Dropbox Plus and begin to utilize significantly more space in my Dropbox, that it will overload the available storage space on my phone - making the app unusable. Is there some way to manage which folders or files automatically load to the app? (... even if perhaps only in the paid, upgraded versions?) I don't want to pay for an annual subscription only to find out that such an upgrade would disable my phone. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Overloading storage on phone app

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @HiG-Dropper - welcome to our Community!

At first, can you clarify if you're referring to the cache that's taken up by our mobile app on your mobile device or something else like offlined or exported files etc?

If you're referring to exported files (to your mobile's photo gallery or a 3rd party app for example), it's normal that those files take up space locally.

Otherwise, the Dropbox mobile app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device and unlike the Desktop app it doesn't automatically store files locally on your device.

Given this, the contents of your Dropbox won't take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection. 

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions for me. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @HiG-Dropper - welcome to our Community!

At first, can you clarify if you're referring to the cache that's taken up by our mobile app on your mobile device or something else like offlined or exported files etc?

If you're referring to exported files (to your mobile's photo gallery or a 3rd party app for example), it's normal that those files take up space locally.

Otherwise, the Dropbox mobile app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device and unlike the Desktop app it doesn't automatically store files locally on your device.

Given this, the contents of your Dropbox won't take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection. 

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions for me. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter. 

Thank you for your answer. 

I seem to recall that as more files got added to my Dropbox, my available space on my phone's internal storage shrunk. I thought I remember removing a whole bunch of uploaded photos from my Dropbox Camera Upload file and that seemed to create more available space on my phone. I tried to do that again (after your reply), but found that made no impact on my phone's internal storage space availability. Either my memory of the details is foggy, or functions have changed since that time. 

I am considering upgrading my Dropbox account to acquire more storage so that we may store more workable team files. However, if I upload a large number of files to my Dropbox - cumlatively more than my phone's internal storage capacity - I don't want to risk overloading my phone. It sounds like your answer assures me that I need not worry about such things. So, thank you. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries @HiG-Dropper; I'm glad we managed to sort this out!

Have a wonderful week ahead and should you ever come up with a Dropbox question, you know where to find us 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?