cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Sleep no longer working with Dropbox loaded

PC Sleep no longer working with Dropbox loaded

John F.93
Explorer | Level 4

For the last couple of releases (maybe the 3.2.x stream), my Win7 x64 PC no longer goes to sleep correctly. When I put the PC to sleep, the monitor blanks, but the PC sits there for 10-15 minutes then blue screens. I tried disabling things in startup and finally isolated the problem to Dropbox. As a temporary workaround, I have created a task in the scheduler that force kills Dropbox prior to sleep, then starts it again on resume. I really don't want to continue this way, and hope that the Dropbox team can provide a fix.

70 Replies 70

Re: PC Sleep no longer working with Dropbox loaded

Robert S.
Super User alumni

TBH, my immediate suspicion is an underlying problem with the Windows installation or a hardware issue.

If your system crashes were related to Dropbox, instead of this one isolated post I'd expect the forum to be absolutely swamped with reports.

Certainly, it works without issue on both of my Windows 7 machines.

Dzano C.
New member | Level 1

I'm having exactly the same problem as John F. It started to happen a month ago. (Windows 7)

John F.93
Explorer | Level 4

Same timing for me - ~1 month. Dropbox and Sleep were working fine for as long as I can remember, then all of a sudden this problem started happening. I agree with Robert S. that it could be some interaction with a software update for Windows or another App/Driver (definitely NOT hardware, since I haven't changed that in a long time), but with no way to troubleshoot the offender and the workaround to simply kill Dropbox before sleep, I was hoping that the Dropbox team might have seen the problem in their lab or have a suggested remedy.

Andreas E.6
New member | Level 1

The same with my PC. Win 7 Pro 64bit.
When I stop dropbox, the System goes to standby or sleep correctly.
When I restart dropbox, the standby and sleep modes are prevented by this program.
I think that many People has this Problem, but they don´t know, that it is caused by dropbox. I have searched mor than a week, until I have found the reason. It´s definatly dropbox!
Please fix itr.

David M.9
Dropboxer

Hey all,

Working on investigating this issue. This currently looks to be an issue on Lenovo devices (possibly with the Lenovo Power Manager) running Dropbox. Can you guys let me know if you're also using Lenovo devices?

Dzano C.
New member | Level 1

No, I have no Lenovo devices.

Computer Type: ACPI x86-based PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU Type: DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboard Name: Intel Isleton D946GZIS (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Broadwater i946GZ
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4550 (512 MB)

And this is a warning from Event Log after I tried to "Sleep" with Dropbox running:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}" />
<EventID>1014</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-09T16:00:37.305754500Z" />
<EventRecordID>410203</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1204" ThreadID="916" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Dzano-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="QueryName">teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com</Data>
<Data Name="AddressLength">16</Data>
<Data Name="Address">02000035B03DA4530000000000000000</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I hope it helps.

John F.93
Explorer | Level 4

I don't have any Lenovo Devices.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
CPU/Memory: i5-2500K, 16GB PC3-12800
Graphics Card: nVidia GT440
O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate

David M.9
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. Bug has already been filed for this issue and looks like I was off with my assumption; will do some more investigating.

Please be on the lookout on your Dropbox linked emails. I may need to open tickets to ask more questions or perform more in-depth troubleshooting!

John F.93
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks David! Please let me know if you need any additional information. I can reproduce this issue 100% of the time.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marvf Explorer | Level 4
    vemetoku Helpful | Level 6
    stuhac New member | Level 2
    volkeru Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?