Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF File created using Mac does not sync to Windows Dropbox

Tominusa New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Our Mac not being connected to any of our Windows printers, we "printed" instead a web page in Safari as a PDF file, to its DB folder. But the resulting .pdf file wouldn't sync to our Windows PC's DB (68.4.102). Instead I had to open our DB using a browser w/dropbox.com, and there the file was just as it should be.

I tried making a couple more .pdf files with the Mac, and they would always show-up in dropbox.com, but never synced to Windows. I finally Downloaded the file from dropbox.com and gave-up.

What about the creation of a PDF file using a Macbook would cause a failure of the system-wide syncing to work???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: PDF File created using Mac does not sync to Windows Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, most likely you added an invalid character in the PDF file name, such as a : or | character.

Windows can’t view these files or folders, so it wouldn’t sync from the site at all. Try checking your account for these types of files, or other potential issues regarding the sync.

Renaming the file to remove this character will allow it to sync normally to your Windows machine.

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, most likely you added an invalid character in the PDF file name, such as a : or | character.

Windows can’t view these files or folders, so it wouldn’t sync from the site at all. Try checking your account for these types of files, or other potential issues regarding the sync.

Renaming the file to remove this character will allow it to sync normally to your Windows machine.

Hope this info helps!

Jay

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Tominusa New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

That's brilliant Jay, I didn't even notice the | symbol in the Order Confirmation I was trying to "print" from lee.com. I was able even to return to the site and PRINT RECEIPT again, this time removing first the |, and it showed-up instantly in my Windows DB.

Excellent, many thanks!!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to have helped! Enjoy the rest of your week.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?