cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

PDF viewer, IOS, bold courier font not bolded

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a large collection of PDF files which i carefully bolded much of the text to make it easier to read. This worked well for a long time, years. Recently in the last month or two, i find the when i view these PDF files using dropbox viewer the fonts have lost the bold, and appear as regular. It is hard to see.

PDF files are generated from HTML using the <PRE><B> tag to make them bold, courier as the monospace aspect is also important.

I have tried other viewer, Foxit PDF seems to preserve the bolding as expected, but it is an extra step to keep exporting from dropbox. Other PDF viewers on IOS seem hit and miss in regard of this issue.

Viewing on PC with Adobe reader works fine.

Configuration: IOS 11.3, ipad mini 2(retina), Dropbox 98.2.

I am not sure if something has changed in Dropbox IOS, or perhaps IOS iteself. It did work fine for a long time but something has changed.

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: PDF viewer, IOS, bold courier font not bolded

Super User II
Super User II
Hi

Could you do one more text for me please ottawadeveloper?

What happens if you email the file to yourself and you view it via Apple's own viewers?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hmm, will if i mail it to myself then it will be in a mail program, in my case gmail.

When i click on the attachment in gmail it comes in some viewer, perhaps built in to gmail, anyhow it looks much better there.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
It needs to be within the Apple mail client unfortunately.

What I'm trying to do is work out if the issue is with Apple (as I suspect) or Dropbox.

Dropbox simply uses the viewers provided by Apple to display PDFs etc. but things do sometimes go wrong inbetween, hence a good way to test it is to email it to yourself and open in Apple Mail. If you get the same issue the fault is with Apple, if you dont, its with Dropbox.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

ok, i did send it via icloud this time, in the 'mail' program provided it looks pretty good.

Text is much thinner in dropbox viewer.

I am not an expert on ios, but is there potential to install fonts that might fix this?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

for other fonts, not courier, like regular proportional fonts, i also do not see the issue, so far seems related to courier/monospace font.

Also the size of the courier font is varied, when printing HTML to PDF from the web browser, i adjust the scaling to fit the page. It seems that the issue is effecting the varied sizes equally. Really looks like it is converted from bold to not bold.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Its not possible to install fonts, no.

So if it works in Mail and not Dropbox it sounds like a bug

Can you log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support for somebody to have a look at?
http://dropbox.zendesk.com will let you then track that

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

i looked at the link you provided, do you mean to send a question by email?

Dont see something directly about logging a ticket.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
No, you need to send it via a Ticket using the link.

You'll probably need to choose options such as 'Get help with other issue'.

There is no way to log a support ticket via email I'm afraid.

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

the link provided is

https://www.dropbox.com/support

I do not see anything that makes sense to submit a ticket or choose options such as 'Get help with other issue'. 

I see:

Dropbox Support is here to help. Click an option to get in touch with us:
Email
Email
Send us your question over email.
Twitter support
Twitter support
Get quick replies from the Dropbox Support team.
Community
Community
Ask a question for our Dropbox experts.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?