cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Manager?

Password Manager?

Bram S.1
New member | Level 2

Hello. Is there any way to create a secured folder within dropbox to use as a password manager? I don't trust any of these 3rd party apps. In fact, the only company I trust is Dropbox. With the security of my data and syncing of my data, Dropbox is a natural choice (for me) to turn to for an advanced password management solution (Aside from saving details and locking them up in a file somewhere).

6 Replies 6

Re: Password Manager?

Rich
Super User II
 Is there any way to create a secured folder within dropbox

Not using Dropbox, no. You might be able to using a third-party utility, but you seem to want to avoid that. There are also plenty of password manager apps that will sync with Dropbox. 1Password, for instance, is said to be pretty good. (and one of the moderators here is a mod over there as well. If he trusts it, you probably can as well.)

Bram S.1
New member | Level 2

Thank you. I'll check that out. Any thoughts on KeePass?

Rich
Super User II

I can't offer an opinion on any password manager I'm afraid. I've tried a few, and while they all delivered on their promises, I just stopped using them. I just don't find them convenient. The only password manager I use now is the grey matter between my ears (what little there is of it).

Bram S.1
New member | Level 2

See... I have the same thought process and was going to "upgrade" from a .txt file to a password protected Excel sheet. It's FREE, and it's as secure as my dropbox account. Far more simple especially since I use various 2-step logins. Thoughts?

Bram S.1
New member | Level 2

Oh.. and thank you for your time thus far 🙂

Rich
Super User II
a password protected Excel sheet. It's FREE, and it's as secure as my dropbox account

Send me your password protected Excel file and in a matter of minutes I'll show you how not secure that is by sending you all of your passwords. 🙂 Seriously though, while a password protected Excel file is better than a text file, it's only marginally better.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Bram S.1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?