cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protect local folders

Password protect local folders

niknes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I would like to know if there is the possibility to protect access to the Dropbox local folder on the PC, using a password. This because I installed Dropbox even on the PC in office. This PC is used by different users and anyone could view the contents of my Dropbox folder. Is there a possibility to protect this folder with a password or other software?

Thanks

13 Replies 13

Sarbjitkaur
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Please protectopic my Dropbox link I using Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Sarbjitkaur, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

We'd be more than happy to help, but I'm not exactly clear on what you're trying to achieve. 

Any info you could give us would be very helpful. Thanks!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Simon1986
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I 100% agree! This is such an overdue feature it's not funny. 

The answers in this forum are not very helpful - "just password your computer". No **bleep**!

The question was if you can password protect a selected number of folders on your dropbox account for added security. e.g. if other people in your householde use the computer. I can think of many reasons why this is crucial.

Dropbox I reckon you shoul consider this feature as it would add a lot of value to your customers and you could be the first cloud sharing company to offer it. 

soundmanbrett
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox is implementing what they call a Vault folder. Right now it is only available on Family and Plus plans. It allows you to add a PIN number that is required to open the vault folder. For some reason, the Plus plan has this feature but the Professional plan upgrade, that I pay $80 a year more for, doesn't. Anyway, the advantage, as I see it, is that you can put sensitive documents in the vault so that other people accessing your Dropbox can't get to them without the PIN. In my case, there are files I would like to put in the Vault so that my kids, who use my account to keep their schoolwork in, can't see my tax information.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

soundmanbrett Explorer | Level 4
    Simon1986 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Sarbjitkaur New member | Level 2
    Bob39 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?