cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protecting DropBox on a laptop

Password protecting DropBox on a laptop

Wadud M.
New member | Level 1

Is there a way to password protect DropBox on a desktop/laptop machine when a user accesses DropBox for the first time?

Best regards,

Wadud.

5 Replies 5

Re: Password protecting DropBox on a laptop

Mark
Super User II

No. Not with Dropbox there isnt - its just a folder on your machine like all others. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Wadud M.
New member | Level 1

hi everyone, thanks for your very quick replies. I'm asking because if the laptop is lost or stolen, I don't want others to view my files. I know you have a remote wipe feature (https://www.dropbox.com/help/4206), but this will not work if the person removes the hard drive and copies the files. But I guess you can encrypt the contents of the hard drive.

Regards,

Wadud.

Mark
Super User II

I suppose the way to think about it is 'what are you doing with the files not in Dropbox' or even, before Dropbox? 

Theres no difference now. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Alexis G.1
Super User

Hi Wadud. The solution is simple: encrypt your hard drive.

If you have Windows 10 you can use Bitlocker. It's already built-in. If your laptop is lost or stolen, your data will be safe.

• Encrypt your HDD
  • Use an strong password for your account
  • Use an standard account (non admin)

And you will be safe. It's my 2 cents.

tip: when you encrypt your HDD, you will have an encryption key. Save it in a safe place.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alexis G.1 Super User
    Mark Super User II
    Wadud M. New member | Level 1
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?