cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause Sync Removed from Windows Desktop App?

Pause Sync Removed from Windows Desktop App?

Alex0013
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

Has anyone else noted that Pause Sync seems to have been removed from the Windows Desktop app? At least I can no longer find it anywhere. It used to be where you could click the app in the system tray, and click your account picture, and click "Pause Syncing". That options seems to have been removed for me?

Anyone else experience or know if they removed it completely or just moved somewhere else I can't find?

Thanks!

PS: I believe I'm running the most up-to-date at this time of v100.3.393

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pause Sync Removed from Windows Desktop App?

Rich
Super User II

@Alex0013 wrote:

Anyone else experience or know if they removed it completely or just moved somewhere else I can't find?

Pause Syncing is still in the same place that I've always used; hover your cursor over the bottom left corner of the window and your sync status will change.

845b0d13e227b2f8538e1c19e3f64b51.png

You're using the latest beta version. The latest stable version is v99.4.501. The .3 in the middle of the version indicates a beta, and the .4 indicates a stable release.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

@Alex0013 wrote:

Pause Syncing is still in the same place that I've always used; hover your cursor over the bottom left corner of the window and your sync status will change.

845b0d13e227b2f8538e1c19e3f64b51.png

You're using the latest beta version. The latest stable version is v99.4.501. The .3 in the middle of the version indicates a beta, and the .4 indicates a stable release.

Alex0013
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks! Yep seems it was moved that! Tbh, I like the new location better, just hovering that corner va using a menu.

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II

@Alex0013 wrote:
Yep seems it was moved that! Tbh, I like the new location better, just hovering that corner va using a menu.

It has always been there. Perhaps there was a menu item as well, but the Pause option has been in the lower corner for a long time now.

debeshbar
New member | Level 2

This is so wrong in terms of UX. I just sent an email to the support team to find this button.

pandacwc
New member | Level 2

Agree!  this is just common sense wrong!  because it is not explicitly intuitive!

I don't think it's wise to assume ALL users just know to hover.  Who knows, maybe the next gen will expect you to speak/look over ......

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @pandacwc, the information on how to pause syncing can be found in this article on our site.

It has recently changed and allows you to pause syncing for 30 minutes, 1 hour, or until the next day.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dbtindall
Helpful | Level 5

This is a terrible change!

Why was it made?

I like to have the icon available on the task bar, and I want Dropbox to pause syncing indefinitely until I wish to sync.

I don't want it to sync unless I tell it to.

Now, it seems that I have to exit from Dropbox to prevent it from syncing.

This is a definite downgrade. I would request this function be set back to the way it used to work.

clayanderson
New member | Level 2

Show me. I can't find a 'pause sync' button ANYWHERE in the current Windows app. v 105.4.651

Screenshot 2020-09-13 14.22.41.png

dbtindall
Helpful | Level 5

2020-09-13 (2).png

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

scottmac99 New member | Level 2
    Zjord Helpful | Level 5
    dbtindall Helpful | Level 5
    clayanderson New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?