cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paused dropbox using upload speed

Paused dropbox using upload speed

Rafinos
Explorer | Level 3

Hi guys!

For a long time my dropbox still using internet bandwidth when is paused. 

Has anyone of you the same problem?

Please don't tell me to do the basics like clear installs etc. I have done them all a lot of times (I have more problems with dropbox and we couldn't fix them after many tries with some guys from dropbox support team).  

6 Replies 6

Re: Paused dropbox using upload speed

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Rafinos, thanks for reaching out to us about the bandwidth usage of the desktop app. 

Although you pause the desktop app from syncing content, the desktop app is still running. 

For example, even though you may be paused, you may still see notifications about updates made from other devices.

You can find more info about this here

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rafinos
Explorer | Level 3

The problem isn't the bandwidth itself, but upload speed. When I upload something on the dropbox I can't use my internet and I need to pause the sync until I stop using my pc. But when I pause the sync on dropbox it still syncing (or use the same bandwidth as before). To resolve this I must "destroy" dropbox task from the task manager. 

I think that isn't normal. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Rafinos

If you're experiencing a general slow-down when using the desktop app, have a look at this article which lists some ideas on what may be causing this and how to tackle it. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

shadler
New member | Level 2

I just noticed that exact problem.  The sync process ignores the pause button as well as the bandwith limits.  I was able to immedately resolve the issue by killing the dropbox process in Windows Task Manager.

The Internet Speed Test shows the problem as solved as the upload speed increased from 0.07 Mbps -> 1.88 Mbps

cno167
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem on Mac. I need to totally stop all other bandwidth use so I can teach via zoom with limited bandwidth. Why doesn't pausing dropbox stop gobbling bandwidth?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @cno167, pausing the Dropbox desktop application should stop any bandwidth from being used, since nothing is syncing.

Have you tried any of the steps in this thread to see if they help, such as reinstalling the app or adjusting the bandwidth settings in the app?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?